We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Far North ??

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Too Far North ??

My husband and I along with our 3 daughters are heading back to Barbados for our third year in a row. The past 2 years we stayed near Rockley Beach area (last year was The Coral Mist). This time we are looking for a rental home or villa and we think we have hit the jackpot. This place we found is beautiful, it has a pool and a short path to the beach - BUT - my husband thinks it is too far north and away from civilization. The owner of this house said you could walk to The Fish Pot, and that Port St Charles is very close - it's about a 1/2 mile to a mile to Speightstown. I have no reservations about staying at this house, but my husbands main one is being so far away from everything. Is this a good area ?? We know if we want to take the girls to the aquarium or the caves - we will have to drive a good distance - but on past trips we just get in the car and go - all over the island - everywhere. But this time - we want to have more 'relaxing' days by the pool or on the beach with the girls - but still take enough side trips to show them this amazing and beautiful island.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh - and 1 more thing - we are staying 9 nights and the cost is around $2600 - we are assuming this price is so cheap due to the location of the house (not in The Gap or right on the Golden Coast) - and we do know that we are traveling in the last few weeks of the summer pricing.

Thanks

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Far North ??

Well, you've stated your options very well. If the house is within walking distance to The Fish Pot, you're near Little Good Harbour and there's nothing there but a little fishing village and some homes. Port St. Charles is close, but it's not as if you can use their facilities. There are restaurants in Speightstown. Depending on how much you want to sightsee, you will definitely have quite a bit of travelling to do. I would say it also depends on the ages of your daughters and if they'll be happy spending time at a pool, even though it is in Barbados.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Far North ??

This is Barbados and nowhere is far - put it into prespective how far do you travel from your home in Canada to places????? I'm sure you will have a great time - you wouldn't want to stay right on top of St Lawrence Gap you'd never get any sleep. Enjoy!!

dorval
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Far North ??

hilowe,

You're husbands concerns are well founded but, if you have the use of a car, nowhere on the island is actually that far away. I traveled to Barbados years ago with three kids and I also rented a house.

Make the best of the situation and enjoy...the best room you have, is right outside your door. We're staying at the other end of Bim, this year, a short walk to the South point lighthouse, we stroll to Miami beach every morning, we also rent a car for three days a week and when we have it, we explore bays and beaches all over the island. Seventy five days from now I'll be eating kingfish and forgetting the cold back here with Mount Gay rum.....35 days in the sun should work wonders......have fun with the kids and enjoy the 166 square miles of fun.

Paragon 140

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Far North ??

You might be better off a bit more south, but still on the West Coast. We've rented great homes that are hillside with pools and are closer to lots of stuff. One you might consider is Gibbs Lodge, or another is Casa Ronka - both great places. From Gibbs it's a 5 min. walk down to Gibbs beach. From Casa Ronka it's probably a 15 min. walk (better to drive and park along the road near the beach).

The beach near Little Good Harbor is small at certain times of the year (according to them), and there's not too much in Speightstown.

When you get farther down the West Coast (Sunset Crest area) you'll find shops, grocery stores and many restaurants from which to choose.

Lois

5. Re: Too Far North ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 02:19