We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking Water in Barbados

Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Drinking Water in Barbados

OK last silly question before I go off to Barbados

I have read that the tap water is OK to drink? Is this the case or do most people go down the bottled water route?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
1. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

Perfectly safe to drink water straight from the tap, the purest water I ever tasted. Dont waste your money on the bottled stuff.

Happy Holidays.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

I agree, the water is perfectly safe and lovely water. I always drink the tap water and have never been ill in Barbados whereas I have had problems in other countries even drinking bottled water.

Guildford
Level Contributor
442 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

The water itself is fine - better than ours in fact.

What sometimes happens in some establishments is that the jugs are not rinsed as thoroughly as they might be and there can be an unwanted taste of detergent.

When that happens I normally stick to the alcohol!

E.

UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

the water really is perfectly safe but sometimes tastes of chlorine (assume this treatment is necessary due to higher temperatures on the island). We usually drink it combined with fruit juice (ask about Bajan cherry juice) in those tea-total moments. The fruit juice on its own is often too sweet for my taste.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

Never had a problem with the drinking water. I have had the water in folks homes, hotels and restaurants and the water has always been good and I have never been sick. I do buy bottled water from the supermarket but that is only to have water with me to carry when I am out and about. Never had a problem with getting sick at all in Barbados. Only a cold and I suspect that came from the flights on my way there. The rum seems to help get rid of the cold fairly quickly.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

Oh yes amerie. When I went down with a cold one of the receptionists in the hotel gave me a lime from his tree at home and told me to take the juice with sugar and rum - worked a treat!

Birkenshaw, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

We bought 2 bottles in the airport when we arrived and just filled them up in the room and left them in the fridge. Never felt ill and tasted as good as back home.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,476 posts
156 reviews
8. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

When out for a meal we always have the tap water. Always served with ice in big jugs. Better than any bottled water. Most places I go on holiday I end up with a tummy upset and only drink bottled water. Never have a problem in Barbados with the tap water.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

It is a fact that Barbados has one of the most purest water supplies in the world because its sieved through the coral stone. We once had a consignment of bottled water refused entry at the port because it didn't come up to standards. Don't waste your money on bottled water the poster from Leeds has got it right. It hasn't reduced my wrinkles but it has certainly cleared my skin - I never drank tap water in UK!!!!

10. Re: Drinking Water in Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 08:17