We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Employment/permenant move to Barbados

Level Contributor
1,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Employment/permenant move to Barbados

Hi there

I have been going to Barbados for 4 years and lived there for 6 months, but had to return as my passport stamp only allowed maximum stay of 6 months at a time (I was unable to work while there, and so had to return as well as could not continue to stay there while not earning). My boyfriend is a Bajan and lives there and wants me to move there too.

Does anyone know anyone who has managed to move to Barbados and get a work permitt without having to get married (Im early 20's and feel too young to get married just yet.............). If so, do you know how they manage to get the papers etc.

south east
Level Contributor
940 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Employment/permenant move to Barbados

I was told that it was possible to leave the island, literally for a day to visit another island, then go back to Barbados for another six months. I had also heard that it was possible to buy a work permit for around 3 years. You would need to find out from a local person if this is legitimate.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Employment/permenant move to Barbados

The pervious answer is valid for one or two times, after that probably not. There are people who do it.

Your best way is to really take a look at what the immigration rules say, maybe consult a lawyer in Barbados and ultimately you might want to look at getting "landed immigrant" status. However in to-days newspaper (Nation News) the Prime Minister makes a strong statement oagainst hiring Barbadians over anyone else. So your timing might not be the best to test the system.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Employment/permenant move to Barbados

Yes it seems the Government are tightening up on the work permit situation and getting a work permit is not easy at all. Basically a company has to apply for you and they have to prove that the job has been advertised and that no suitably qualified persons have applied before the work permit will even be considered by Immigration. The price has also doubled over the last year to something like Bds $5,800 (I believe) for 3 years.

If you have a prefession like nursing, teaching or suchlike your chances are much better.

4. Re: Employment/permenant move to Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 21:20