We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tip's welcome thanks

united kingdom
7 posts
Save Topic
Any tip's welcome thanks

I would like to know if any one has a good tips for keeping mosquitoes at bay they always seem to head right in my direction.

My mother & I are arriving on the 23rd Nov 08, we are at the Discovery Bay Resort Barbados, we are both very excited we have read the reviews so we will just have to wait & see, I am sure the people are lovely & the island has much to offer.

Any tips for restaurant's for us to try? And things that we should really try not to miss.

Thanks 18/09/08

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

The first time I went to the Caribbean everyone had their own idea of what mosquito precautions I should take, so I went armed with lemon shower gel, citronella spray, Avon Skin so Soft, Deet spray, room spray, you name it I took it, the poor blighters didn't stand a chance. Since then I have just used the Deet Spray and I have been just fine. LOL! For things to do just scroll down the pages for some great tips.

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

I have been travelling regularly to Barbados for 20 years now, and now have mosquito prevention down to a fine art! The only spray I find that really works for me is 'Off' which you can buy in the supermarket at Holetown. Spray yourself as soon as you get up in the morning - before an afternoon siesta (if you have one) then again as the sun is going down - and yet again after an evening shower before going out to dinner. I now get very few bites! (used to be covered!)

The little pests are generally at their worst before the sun is up properly, and as the sun is going down.

Also, make sure you keep your bedroom door closed as much as possible. Also a lot worse when there has been rain followed by warm sun - bringing them out in numbers!

As regards restaurants, you are situed in a very good spot - Holetown has a number of places to eat - Angrie Annies, Ragamuffins, The Mews, Spagos, Indigos, Cocomos, Surfside beach bar, The Tides, and more within a short taxi ride, including the Cliff for a very special meal.

Have a great time, and don't get too many bites!

(Forgot to say, when you do get bitten, always apply a cream to calm the bites and stop itching)

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

On a Sunday night you need to head to First Street in Holetown. Great street party with a good mix of locals and tourists. Sitar restuarant in 2nd street is a nice indian to try. Oistens is another great place to visit. On a friday night the locals from the south coast and the tourist all go there for great food -freshly cooked fish/chicken to order. The Oistens bus passes by your hotel and the fare is only $1.50bds which is about 40p!

I don't tend to use anything for the mozzies now, I never get bit anymore although I did when I first started going, so can't advise you on that.

London
Level Contributor
51 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

for the mossies take a 50m vitamen B complex capsule every day. Start about 5 weeks before you go and take right through your holiday. I've done it a couple of years and have not been bitten. Should cost about £8 for a bottle in Holland and Barretts. Make sure you get the ones with 50m of EACH active ingredient.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

A story in last month's New York Times said, in part:

But the Internet is full of advertisements for pills and supplements that are supposed to keep the pests away from walking mosquito magnets. One pervasive claim is that taking vitamin B, or wearing patches and other products that are infused with it, can do the trick. Studies dating to the 1960s suggest that taking small doses of the supplement three times a day during biting season helps to produce a skin odor that mosquitoes find repulsive.

But more recent studies have shown that assertion to be a myth. In a study published in 2005 in the Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, scientists had a group of subjects take vitamin B supplements every day for eight weeks, while a second group took vitamin C and a third took no supplements. Once every two weeks, the scientists used swarms of mosquitoes to examine whether the supplements were having any effect. Although each subject’s attractiveness to the mosquitoes varied considerably, over all there was no evidence that vitamin B did anything to help.

Also, here is a rather technical guide to repellants written by a physician:

www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/11/931

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

Swear by 'OFF' buy it when we get there. They do it in a tropical smell which is really nice. We do not get bit.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

IF you start a course of anti-histamines the week before you travel and then during your stay any bites you get will not hurt you. If your bedroom is air-conditions they can't survive in cool. They are attracted to light so if you have a verandah they will make for that once inside the room they hide in dark places like under your bed!!! I hope the sandflies miss you as well. If your travelling in November your right at the end of our rainy time so hopefully there won't be many about. Good luck!

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

I always understood it was the dark they like - hence why they appear more after sunset - also you tend to find them in dark clothes cupboards etc. Perhaps I am wrong?

As regards vit.B, I think that is why Marmite is considered a good repellant - Perhaps the mozzies feel the same way as us - you either love it or hate it!!

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
162 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

If you pop into Boots here in the UK they do their own brand of Insect repellant in a silver container that costs about £7 and contains 50% Deet. I was advised to use it last year by a long haul air hostess who swears by it, and despite it having a not too nice smell (do NOT spray it indoors!) it really did make a difference.

I am usually bitten alive by mossies, but since I have started having regular vitamin B12 injections they do not seem so keen on me - so guess I taste like Marmite to them!

Also the comment about anti histamines is a very valid one. Whilst you may still be bitten, anti histamines will help your body deal with the bites a lot better.

Have a great holiday!

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tip's welcome thanks

"If your bedroom is air-conditions they can't survive in cool."

While they are more active in warmer temps, your bedroom isn't going to be cold enough to kill any mosquitoes unless it's in the 8-10C range. Brrr.

You can view some basic facts about mosquitoes here, in the section called "Mosquitoes 101", including why they bite certain people, what attracts them, where they thrive, etc.

http://westnilevirus.nbii.gov/mosquitoes.html

Interestingly, this article says the buggers are attracted to darker clothing because it tends to retain heat, not because of the color, per se.

Regarding products with DEET, a spray with a high percentage of the chemical doesn't mean it's any stronger or more effective at killing mosquitoes than one with less DEET. It simply means it will last longer. So a spray with 50% DEET will last hours longer than one with 10%. That's handy because most of us either forget or don't want to bother re-applying throughout the day or night.