We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US $ or Barbados $?

Bournemouth
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
US $ or Barbados $?

Im am off to Barbados a week on saturday what currency is best to take and the best exchange rate?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

Take sterling and change it to Barbados Dollars at the airport no need to pay commission charges or use USD. You will get a better rate here than in UK.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

I agree, take sterling ( although sterling Travellers cheques get a better rate, but I disagree with changing it at the Airport. They give an astonishingly poor rate. Banks are plentiful, change there.

Just to give an example of the difference in the rates given here At Scotia Bank yesterday, you were getting BD$ 3.562629 to the pound for cash and BD$3.6146 for Traveller's cheques. ( Exhange fee per cheque 50cents ) which equals US $ 1.79 and US& 1.82---------------much higher than you get here.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

I didn't realise the rate was better for travellers cheques rather than cash. (I must have misread you earlier!) I wonder why? I'd have thought it would be the other way around.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

The highest rate of exchange is for TT transfer from UK bank to Barbados Bank, if you have an account in Barbados , then Traveller's cheques, then cash.

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

Is there a bank in Holetown?

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

Yes, just past the shopping mall and the garage. There's probably more than one but I can't remember.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

There are 4 banks in Holetown. One opposite the end of 1st steet. one a bit further along. One

opposite the West Mall and One at the end of Sunset Crest mall.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

I would take Bajan if I were you as change is given in Bajan, so its easier to work out. As you are in Bournemouth, I would go to American Express for your currency. They always beat the post office and Marks and Spencer and are commission free!! You may want to call them to see if you need to order the currency first though!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

If you buy Bajan dollars in the UK you get an appaulingly low rate. Sterling Travellers cheques are both protected if they are lost or stolen and you get a hugely better rate for them.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,711 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US $ or Barbados $?

up for sqaur