We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee beans?

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee beans?

i have a particular brand of coffee beans that I really like and was wondering if it is permissable to take coffee beans into Barbados in my suitcase in the hold? We are staying in a villa and I know I can buy coffee beans in Supercentre as I did last year, but just wondered if I could take my own beans with me.

Thanks

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee beans?

Hi, yes it isn't a problem, we always take our own coffee and tea as we find we can't get the brands we like. Emma

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee beans?

Brilliant, thanks very much for your reply. I asked cause I know you can't take coffee into the USA, thought it was best to ask first :-)

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee beans?

Hi don't worry, I asked a similar question the first time we went self-catering in Barbados. I'd just suggest on your immigration form to declare any food items. We have never had them checked though. The first time we stopped Self catering I took all sorts of things not knowing how good the supermarkets would be. I really don't bother now, the supermarkets are pretty good. I just bring a few things such as tea and coffee which is just because I'm fussy about the brands I like :o) Only things you need to be wary of are plants, meat and dairy, not that I'd imagine they'd travel that well long distance in your suitcase anyway lol! but coffee will be absolutely fine, I'd never heard that before about not taking it in to USA. Enjoy your holiday!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee beans?

my hubby usually picks up a couple of pounds of Starbucks every time he travels and brings it into Barbados. We sometimes bring in several bags at once time and never had a problem.

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee beans?

Thank you all for your help, always best to ask the experts! uktripfan yes you can't take coffee or cheese, how do I know you ask???? I'll let you have a guess :-O

Kent
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee beans?

We want to bring coffee, tea bags and cereal with us.

Do all of you who bring in such food items enter them on the immigration form?

If you put them on the form are the authorities likely to want you to open up your cases for them to look at the items.

Can't decide if it's better to put them on the form or not put them on the form and hope they don't check!

Advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Sue

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee beans?

"We want to bring coffee, tea bags and cereal with us."

You can buy a lot of UK brands of those items here you know, such as Tetley tea, Weetabix and loads and loads more. I'd say with the sterling exchange rate you would not be saving much (if any) money by bringing them all the way here and it just takes up precious suitcase space. www.supercentre.com shows products and prices if you are interested.

As for declaring the items, I think the form asks only if you are bringing in fruit or meat products. I may be wrong, but I'm almost sure you don't have to mention tea, cereal etc.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee beans?

Hi, the form does ask about all food stuffs, really up to you whether you declare it or not, but we have taken tea, coffee and a few other things about 5 times now and declared them and never had our cases checked, they just waved us through. One time we took lots of things as we weren't sure what we would find in the supermarkets so I had taken muesli, jam etc but really as InBarbados says I wouldn't bother with anything like that unless you have certain brands you really like. It is more coffee and tea I like to take just because I have my fave's which I haven't seen in Barbados before. Don't sweat it, you won't get interrogated for declaring a few sundries. It is dairy, meat and plants they would have a problem with, Emma

Kent
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee beans?

Thank you.

Only want to take enough cereal for the first morning's breakfast until we can get to Supercentre plus favourite brands of coffee and tea so will declare and not worry too much...

10. Re: Coffee beans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 12:18