We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure when I will return...

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Not sure when I will return...

I have recently returned from Barbados, and this time I do not feel the Island calling me back like other visits. I am not sure I can really put my finger on the exact reason. Interesting thing is the gal who sat next to me on the flight back said the same thing. She has been there 17 times, and if I recall correctly, it was my 10 trip there.

The lack of customer service, especially at the supermarkets seems to bother me more each visit. I seem to be an intrusion into the cashiers day, although I am helping keep her in a job. I do not expect them to kiss my behind, but some sort of eye contact or at least a friendly hello would be nice. They certainly find the time to visit with their coworkers while I am in line. I would say that at least 85% of the time, this is the treatment I receive.

Had a less than acceptable experience at the Cafe Jungle in St Lawrence Gap. I would never go back there. The poor service again was an issue, and the food horrible. One might think that if 2 people had the majority of the food left on their plate that the waitress would ask if there was an issue with it. Not a word was said to us.

I continue to be alarmed with the lack of care when tossing away garbage, and no recycling programs that I am aware of. Barbados is such a beautiful island, and with trash lying about almost everywhere, it leads me to believe that the citizens do not value their homeland. It is such a shame. It must be one of the highest users of plastic bags, bottles and styrofoam containers.

Although I enjoyed my 3 weeks there, and there are many wonderful, friendly folks to meet, I just do not feel the urge to book my next visit....

amilton,ontario
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Not sure when I will return...

i have to agree with your assessment of the grocery store treatments...they are very ignorant(i spent 3 months there last year)cafe jungle was overly expensive and not great.

i dont like the building of so many condos on the beachfront...i really hope it stops soon:)

i still love the island and will spend another 4 months there this winter.

tim

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not sure when I will return...

I did not mention the condo situation, and that is another sad state of affairs in Barbados. I used to stay at a small family run beach front apartment hotel in the gap. I just loved it. Unfortunately it was sold and it will be torn down to make way for yet more condos. It is hard to find a nice small family run place that is reasonably priced.

Unlike Simon Cowell and his close pals, I cannot afford a multi million dollar place to stay there.....if only I would have won the 40 million lottery on Saturday here, then I could! But not sure that is the type of place I want....

Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Not sure when I will return...

I have to unfortunately agree with the supermarket situation, the ladies there are horrible with no eye contact, chatting to themselves, as if I am not there at all, very poor customer service, and worse still I was there with a friend of mine who happens to be male and from the island, and I got even worse treatment.

And yes also I agree with all the construction that is going on on the West Coast is a crying shame.

Jen

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not sure when I will return...

I know what you mean, but we have poor service, bad restaurants and litter in Scotland. Plus it's cold, it rains, you can't swim in the sea and you definitely don't get a tan!

My point is the issues you identify are not unique to Barbados (unfortunately).

Emelda

southampton england
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not sure when I will return...

Correct

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not sure when I will return...

We are returning In April 2009 but it will a make or break visit

I have posted many time the concrete jungle that is growing so rapidly on the West Coast ....so I will not repeat myself!!!

I had not previously mentioned the supermarkets ( Supercentre and Jordans)...but I agree wholeheartedly ( with one or two exceptions)... particularly with the floor staff when you are trying to find a particular product in a strange layout

The garbage problem is also one that needs to be looked at VERY quickly - although our maid and cook did explain the separation of waste ...so it must exist to some extent

I hope there is some change for the better but sadly I feel that the power of the concrete dollar/pound is too strong

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not sure when I will return...

Definitely agree with Emelda. We have experienced the Jordan (Prospect) staff showing not to care whether they served you or not, and yet other shops can be very helpful (Holetown supermarket for example).

Lets hope things improve for the staff and us, it won't stop me going back again - yet!

Guildford
Level Contributor
430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not sure when I will return...

Every so often we get this feeling and try something different. But even with the customer service and building issues they have, we still find ourselves saying - this isn't as good as Barbados.

Give it a couple of months - the withdrawal symptoms will return!

E.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not sure when I will return...

I know I will never be able to change the attitude of people, and I know it is not personal when it happens. I am sure I will return to Barbados, but this last time just did not leave me with that cannot wait to return feeling.

Yes there is trash tossed about all over the world, and it drives me crazy to see it here. It just seems that for the most part, it does not bother people who live there. Perhaps I am wrong.

As for the customer service, I would think that the Bajans would want to embrace the tourists, as they can help make of break their island. I know there is good service there, as I have experienced that as well. So maybe one just chooses to give their business to those establishments only.

Maybe I need to find another small apartment hotel on the beach to help me put the Salt Ash to rest. Any suggestions our there...

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not sure when I will return...

Have you ever looked at Palm Beach condos in Holetown?

Inexpensive, great location on beach, private pool and minutes walk to bars and restaurants.

We stayed there a couple of years ago and had a very enjoyable holiday.

www.relaxingretreats.co.uk

Emelda