We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scary creatures

liverpool
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
scary creatures

Is there anything in the sea of Barbados to be worried about eg: sharks/ weaver fish/ sea urchins/ jelly fish etc? Will I need to wear beach shoes to go in the sea.

Also are there any poisonous spiders/ snakes etc on land?

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scary creatures

Sometimes around the reefy areas you see spiny sea urchins, however, they are only normally washed up when the sea has been rough. Sometimes there can be minute to small jelly fish, but not very often. These can give a slight sting, but nothing major. Best just to stay out of the water if they are around. HOwever, this does not happen very often - I can't remember what time of year they normally appear, I know there has been some discussion about this before.

On land, the only think I know of that can be nasty are centipedes (or is it millipedes, I get mixed up. Not to be confused by the little black millipede type creatures, normally known as Christmas worms as they mostly appear at that time of year and are quite harmless), but I have never seen one, and I believe generally they are further in land and normally appear if the earth has been dug - so I very much doubt you are likely to see one.

Basically I think the worst you have to worry about is being bitten by mosquitoes! Personally I never wear shoes in the sea, but I have seen some people wearing them - more than anything because of stones on the water's edge than for any other reason.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scary creatures

The only things that will bite you apart from mozzies and sand-flies are centipedes these can be about 6ins long if you see one - AVOID IT!!! There are only grass snakes indiginous to Barbados unless anyone lets a poisonous snake loose!!! Sea Urchins at certain times of the year if you get any spines in you put some candle grease and a dressing (available from chemists) The candle grease will draw the spines out painlessly. Locals use it all the time.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scary creatures

There is another remedy for sea urchin spines.. have your closest friend (or even stranger) pee on the spot.. takes the stinging out right away.. really... (then use the candle grease to get it out of the spot.)

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scary creatures

I had heard that was also a remedy for jelly fish stings??

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scary creatures

Beware of the ever present land Shark.

Or just go in the pool.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scary creatures

Be aware of the human race, they come in all shapes/sizes/colour!

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scary creatures

Machineel trees. The sap of these trees can do something nasty to the skin so you shouldn't sit under them particularly when it's raining.

They are usually marked with a red hoop on the trunk.

Barbados
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: scary creatures

Jellyfish/Man-of-War(s) are more plentiful - if they can ever be described as such - during late March, April and early May as they tend to come in with the Easter tides. You're also more prone to see them on the east and south-east coasts and not so much on the west, though you can see a few.

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scary creatures

I have been stung a couple of times on the West Coast. I have frequently had sea lice stings, but they don't seem to last - unlike the jellyfish stings which feel a bit like a cigarette burn.

barbados
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scary creatures

If you are really worried it might pay to wear sand shoes when going in the sea. I have seen several Scorpion fish on the West coast