We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotis - what are they?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Rotis - what are they?

I know most of you won't believe this but I have no idea what they are, and from the delight they seem to give most people on this site I am intrigued to find out what type of food they are so hopefully we can injoy too.

thanks.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotis - what are they?

Strictly speaking, roti is a type of flat bread. See the West Indian description here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti

In practice, the rotis you'll find on Barbados are filled with meat and sometimes potatoes, then rolled around the filling to form a closed sandwich. Curry is an important ingredient.

They're very similar to what we Texans would call a burrito, if that makes any sense to you.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotis - what are they?

The Chefette does them with either chicken, beef or just veg, and you can have them with or without potatoes. They are mild curry flavour wrapped in a flat bread like a tortilla and are absolutely yummy.

We had one at Mr Delicious at Miami beach but there was brown chicken in the one I had (that's a pet hate of mine). Apparently the beef one was delicious.

Usually it's our first night dinner after the compulsory trip to the supermarket!

Slurp!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotis - what are they?

They are really yummy that's all I know!

Trinidad
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rotis - what are they?

firstly, you should be asking about this in the trinidad forum. roti is an east indian dish and i been to barbados and trinidad still reigns supreme on rotis!

roti can be 2 things-- dhalpourie or buss up shut.. the dhal is made with peas and resembles a wrap and is usually filled with curried chicken,beef,goat,shrimp,veggies-- whatever u desire.

buss up shut gives u more freedom but is a lot more mess than dhal. u get loose roti skin with no peas and u could choose your side orders :curried channa (chick peas),potatoes,pumpkin,... the list goes on!

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rotis - what are they?

For an English version, imagine a curry in a chapati envelope, so you can eat it without making a mess.

Not too hot- below Madras level.

I recommend the Rum & Raisin ice cream to follow to cool you down

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rotis - what are they?

The Ackee Tree does a great roti (Trini), and Chefette. I have been seeing an advertisement for the Roti Hut for staff needed, so maybe they are opening again (they shut a few years ago when the building they were in was torn down and is now being rebuilt to what i'm sure are condo/apartments).

You can also buy the skins in SuperCentre and make a nice curry chicken or beef and make your own.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rotis - what are they?

thankyou everyone for your time, can you believe it i was so looking forward to trying them, but I don't like curry any hotter than masala, what a whimp I am, oh well..

Any chance that they do them without the curry, or is that a silly question.i.e is the curry the main ingredient?

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rotis - what are they?

I thimk you will be OK- I'm a Masala man and I love the Cheffete Roti.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rotis - what are they?

NOOOOOOOO..... its a currrry dish!! lol but u could use the skins for stew or whatever u want to throw in it but it is what it is .... an INDIAN dish= CURRRY

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rotis - what are they?

just make sure you don't have any hot sauce when they ask and you should be fine with the curry.

agree on the trini roti comments having lived in both places but now i have to try the one at ackee tree...thanks!