We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel and Leisure Mag

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel and Leisure Mag

Barbados is the cover story this month. I plan on writing a few words for the editor and article author. If anyone gets a chance to read it,let me know what you think.

uk
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

do you have a link for the mag? : )

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

travelandleisure.com/articles/the-rebirth-of…

Boston
Level Contributor
245 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

Hi,

I read the story in the mag and they mention a bar called Eats. Does anyone know where this is? I'm leaving for Barbados in the morning on the AA flight from JFK.

Thanks

Jon

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
80 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

I am going to Barbados in February. I was at first happy to see the article but then disappointed by its content. I thought that based on my own research leading up to the trip, the article could have been more practical in terms of the accomodations and sightseeing choices. It seems that some of the travel magazines cannot decide what they actually want to be--a travel magazine, fashion magazine, or other. I prefer practical travel writing that is also entertaining. I subsribe to T & L, Conde Nast, and National Geographic Traveler. I find Traveler to consistently be the best although they at time also could give some added treatment to hotels, inns, and alternative lodging.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

BiGB, I thought it was just me.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

Well, that was certainly... interesting. Clearly we don't move in the same social circles as the author.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

Bajan Fan, never heard of Eats.. No clue where it is.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

I find the article to be overwhelmingly pretentious.

I suppose that the author was trying to entice a sort of monied/blue-blood/sophisticated/white-identified readership to visit Barbados and witness the traces of history from the colonial era while rubbing elbows with aristocrats and celebs. While Barbadian history is very interesting to me. An account about about the island would ring quite hollow if the author uses the significant and indelible economic and cultural contributions of the people of African descent who built Barbados as a mere backdrop.

I find the author's voice very interesting. It has a weird, distanced tone, as if he read a bunch of sources (via internet) about Barbados and interviewed a few friends (by phone) who vacation there, but never truly experienced modern Barbados for himself.

For me the article is a big snore. And, it is pretty long. I bet the author was paid by the word! Lol!!

JET, thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

9. Re: Travel and Leisure Mag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 00:18