We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price increase!

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Topic
Price increase!

Just about to book my holiday with Virgin and the price has increased by nearly £300 compared to last Saturday! I thought prices would be dropping? Don't know what to do now - should I bite the bullet and book or hang on in there in the hope that holidays won't sell and the price will drop? Confused!!

Guildford
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price increase!

Why not phone them up?

Sometimes they can do something on a "price match" type basis. At worst you will get an insight into why the price has risen - exchange rate - supply demand for your dates etc.

E.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price increase!

Virgin holidays usually have a sale on around Christmas and New Year so I would hang on till then.

When are you going?

Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price increase!

Hi,

I think the recent price hikes are a result of the weak pound against the dollar.

We are looking to book accomodation for March and the cost has been going up and up in the last few weeks. Not sure whether to wait and hope the pound gets a bit stronger or not.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Price increase!

Yes - I don't know whether to wait or not - problem is we need to go in the May school holidays so cannot be flexible with dates. I phoned Caribbean warehouse but they were only a few pounds cheaper. Think I'll wait and monitor the situation!

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price increase!

Try the Caribbean Reunion Club (flycrc.com). They normally come up with some good prices.

leeds, England
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Price increase!

Things do not look very good if you are waiting for a bargain.

With the pound so weak and not showing any sign of improving the tour operators have little choice

(other than to make a loss) but to increase prices.

Spending money is also something to think about as last year around this time you were getting 2$ to 1£ i do not dare look what it is today.

Take into consideration inflation and annual price increases a holiday in the next year may prove very expensive.

Guildford
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price increase!

Certainly Tomo the first thing to try is to increase your prices - and possibly start trying to sell into the US market as Barbados is trying to do. But ultimately if you have an empty hotel, or airplane you have committed to leasing, you need to bring your price down to what the market will bear.

No bargains, I agree, and we won't have the spending money benefit we have had recently. But I think the cost of holidays will be broadly similar to last year whatever the Travel Agents say.

We'll see.

E.

London, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Price increase!

have just spoken to Virgin and it appears that today the on-line discount is 5% and on Saturday it was 10% - apparently the discount can change at the discretion of Mr Branson!! - So will keep checking the web site on a daily basis. At the moment there seems to be plenty of availability.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price increase!

Another problem is that Virgin (or any airline for that matter) will only have maybe 10-20 seats at the cheapest price. Once they sell, the fare will increase to the next price and so on. So, you may pay £400 for a ticket to BGI and the person sitting next to you has paid £800 - it just depends how far in advance you book. As you want to travel peak dates, it may be that the availability on the flight is getting busy and so the airfares are increasing. Also VHols probably pay the hoteliers in USD and so as the pound is dropping against the USD, the price has increasd in GBP.

scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Price increase!

Virgin holidays often have a 10% discount on Christmas day (for one day only) if you can hold off booking for a couple of weeks