We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Trip Report Nov 1 -15

regina canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Late Trip Report Nov 1 -15

We decided that on our 25th wedding anniversary we would return to Barbados as we had come here on our honeymoon.I dont know what took us so long to return as Barbados didn't disappoint us as we had a fantastic time and the weather was good. Our holiday got off to a rocky start as our plane was delayed for 90 minutes in Regina Sask and by the time we arrived in Toronto it was 12:30am.We waited for our shuttle to arrive and it didn't so we paid $25 to get to the hotel and found out that you had call for the shuttle,okay.Early flight 8:45 am meant very little sleep and we did get the free shuttle to the airport. Their is five of us on the trip my wife and our 2 older kids and my daughters BF. The flight to Barbados goes by quickly as I watch 2 movies Dark Knight and Get Smart and before you know it we are arriving. Nice and sunny and hot just what were looking for as we get through the airport. Our taxi from the Blue Orchids is there and i have rented a Terios from Stoutes so I just follow the taxi to the Blue Orchids.Sure is strange driving on the left side and operating the vehicle from the right side.On at least 2 occasions I went to get in the wrong side of the vehicle lol. We check in without a problem and our room E107 is a three bedroom. Its nice with lots of room and it has 2 bathrooms. We check out the beach area and it is sweet. We decide to go get a few groceries and fill up the vehicle with gas.Stop at the Shell gas station where gas is selling for $2.21 bds a litre and fill up and then we stop at Big B's grocery store. We found out that Big B,s has a better selection then Trimart which is right across the street from the gas station.Most of the stuff in the grocery store is a little pricey compared to at home.We find are way back to BO and then its down to the beach.We relax on the beach for the first few days before doing anything.We book the Catamaran trip with Cool Running and it was awesome. the snorkeling was great and the food and drinks were very good. We did the Island Safari Tour and the weather changed from sunny to showers but that didn't last as it cleared up and had a wonderful trip around the Island as they took us to places you would never go.Me and my son were the only brave ones lol to do the Aerial trek.It was a little pricey but we had to try it.We also golfed at Rockley Golf course as Friday and Sunday are half price days.Some of the other things we did were the Friday nite fish fry at Oistins.Lots of people their and my kids sure liked the crafts that were for sale. We went to the Sheraton Village Mall a couple times as well as West Coast Mall in Holetown where it took us 15 minutes to get their and an hour and 15 minutes to get back lol. Visited Bridgetown one afternoon but to many crusiers and didn't find any deals. We took the bus $1.50 each way as I didn't want the hassle of driving their lol.Went to Rockley beach a couple times and dover beach once.Helped out a barbados lady by attending a timeshare program. It was interesting as this was our first time doing this and we got a meal 2 bottles of rum each as well as a tshirt. Wish we could have bought a timeshare but not this time lol.Places that we ate at

Champers Very Good

Berts Bar Good

Just Grillin Very Good liked there steak

Golden Chinese Good

Bubbas Good

Coral Mist okay very poor service

TGIF very good

Sunbury Plantation okay

Oistins fish fry good

New Century chinese good

Sweet Potatoes good and liked the service

Jills beach bar good

IL Forno Restorante good

Grand China buffet didn't have the buffet but was okay

Bean n' bagel good

Bellinis Very good

Cafe Sol Mexican Grill good

Pizza Man Doc good pizza and liked their crust

Chefettes good liked their chicken and veggie burgers.

KFC okay ate here in bridgetown as we couldnt find anything else that we liked. they dont put enough coating on the chicken.

Overall we enjoyed our trip and can't figure out what took us so long to come back as Barbados is a beautiful place and we are in the planning stages of coming back in 2009 as the people in Barbados are very friendly. For now we have a trip planned for the Cayman Islands but Barbados will always be a special place for us. thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Trip Report Nov 1 -15

great report smokey! glad you were able to share it with your kids...i'll bet they're anxious to go back again.

cheers, rootsie!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Trip Report Nov 1 -15

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I enjoyed reading your report. I agree about Cool Runnings they are great aren't they. Champers is a favourite of our too, as is Just Grillin, we ate twice at the one in Holetown on our recent holiday, love their chicken sandwich in bbq sauce and rice!

I'm interested how you found the changes after 25 years, had it changed a lot in your eyes? Emma

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Trip Report Nov 1 -15

Glad you had a fab time. Did you find the island a lot more built up and 'touristy' than when you first went?

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Trip Report Nov 1 -15

GLad to hear you had a good time and enjoyed Blue Orchids. I'm going back to Coral Mist for the 5th time next year, I find it ideally placed and love the beach-front location. It has everything that I need when on holiday and I love sitting on the balcony early in the morning.

Nicky

regina canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Trip Report Nov 1 -15

hello yes my kids enjoyed the trip and they would come back as long as i was paying for it lol and thats not going to happen. I promised i would take them once now there on their own. I found that there was alot more traffic and that Bridgetown is more congested as well as alot more hotels than before. Funny how things work out as we stayed at the Blue Horizon 25 years ago and this time at Blue Orchids and how close they are to each other and we didn't realize this until we got here and the area looked familiar.Have to find another hotel that starts with blue lol. Thinking of staying at either Blue Orchids again or Coral Mist as we checked out some rooms there or maybe Accra. take care

6. Re: Late Trip Report Nov 1 -15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 18:19