We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage License

Haslemere, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Marriage License

All,

Advice appreciated, hopefully past experience.

We are looking to get married in Barbados on the 27th of April but as we fly in on the 25th (Saturday) and fly out on the 29th we are only there for one working day (28th is a Public Holiday).

Is it possible to get your marriage license in the morning and then get married in the afternoon or will this not be enough time? I have spoken to the Marriage Licensing people and they said it take 30mins to do the paperwork but The Crane where we were hoping to have the Wedding said that this would not be enought time.

Thanks

Rob

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage License

Rob

You need to get into Bridgetown, which on a Monday morning might take a long time), then go and queue for the licence and get back to the hotel. You might be able to do it, but it wouldn't make a very relaxed start to your wedding day. Also, you'd both have to go so your Mrs-to-be wouldn't have much time to get ready afterwards.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
193 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage License

We are actually getting married in Barbados on the 30th of April. To make life a little easier, we've hired a wedding planner who, among other things, is going to bring us to Bridgetown and help us complete all the necessary paperwork.

I asked her about how much time to expect and she said once we actually arrive at the office in Bridgetown the paperwork filing itself will probably take 15-20 minutes and to give 10-15 minutes for waiting in line. She said round trip from our villa (on the West Coast not terribly far from the Crane in relation to Bridgetown) would take between 1 and 2 hours depending on traffic. She said we'd be going at about 10:00 am to catch the mid-morning lull.

So, I'd say if you know your way around Barbados and/or you will be taking a cab (not a bus) to Bridgetown I'd think you should reasonably expect to be able to leave the Crane at around 9:00am and be back at the hotel before noon at the very latest. If you schedule the ceremony for mid-afternoon I'd think you should be alright.

I might suggest contacting Tropical Weddings Barbados (their website is http://www.tropicalweddingsbarbados.com/) Alicia (the manager there and our wedding planner) is very nice and I bet she'd be willing to give you some tips. All my information is second hand so it might be good to talk to someone like Alicia with extensive experience dealing with the licensing procedures. They even have a UK agent named Emma who's contact info is on their site.

Hope that helps!

New York
Level Contributor
503 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage License

We got married at The Crane last February. Dianne, who is a wedding planner/concierge at The Crane, handled it. She arranged for a taxi and went with us. You should arrange with them/her to go when they open and allow for traffic in Bridgetown (we had a woman taxi driver who was really good at getting through the traffic). We were lucky and only had one couple waiting ahead of us for the license. It probably took 20-30 minutes to get it all done once it was our turn. When we finished, all the chairs in the waiting room were filled with people waiting. If you go when they open you could get married in the afternoon.

Good luck!

NYSbeachgirl

4. Re: Marriage License

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 03:18