We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special diets

Banbury
5 posts
Save Topic
Special diets

We will be in Bridgetown for the cricket in february.

Does anyone know where we can buy Rice milk &

Gluten-Free bread in town or somewhere near the Amarylis Hotel. Thanks.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special diets

try www.supercentre.com to see if they show it listed. They are the largest grocery retailer on the island so I'm thinking if they don't have it, you may not find it.

I'm sure i've seen the bread, but very expensive (well 20.00bbd is expensive to me for a loaf of bread). I'm not sure about the milk, but if there is such a thing here, it will not be cheap.

maybe Scary or InBarbados or ButterflySue can also help with this.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Special diets

My daughter is Coeliac & needs to follow a strict gluten-free diet so she took enought bread to last her the whole holiday.

Big B's supermarket did stock quite a few gluten-free foods but not sure if they had bread.

She had no problems at all with her diet whilst in Barbados

I am sure that Butterfly Sue will help you with this query

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special diets

I am also Coeliac and there are gluten free products in Super Centre but they are over double the price of UK I would bring everything you need with you but once you get here you can eat lots of local food. I'm very lucky my neighbour grates cassava and then blends it and I get it just like a bag of flour to make banana or coconut bread. I don;'t miss the prescription bread at all. Good Luck!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special diets

Hi, What's cassava?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special diets

it's a root vegetable.

There are other products in the supermarket that are Gluten Free - DeBoles is one brand of pasta at Super Centre Big B (which is on the south coast)(used their rice lasagna noodles to make a nice lasagna for lunch yesterday).

6. Re: Special diets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 11:22