We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel to choose

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel to choose

Need to make a decision on which hotels to choose either side of our cruise.

I know I also have a choice between West, South and east coast and I'm getting lost trying to find out where everything is.

Will probably do an all inclusive for the first few nights and then not bothered about all insclusive on the way back

I want something with a bit of luxury about it, although I know that even 5* hotels will perhaps be a bit faded round the edges in comparison to the 5* hotels I'm used to visiting in Dubai (none of them are more than a few years old).

For the 4 nights post cruise and then something else for 3 nights pre cruise.

We will be there in mid to late April.

A good kids club is a must as is a nice beach. And with a nice pool a bonus.

Considering

Sandy Lane

Colony Club

Crystal Cove

Almond Beach Village

Turtle Beach

Almond Casurarina

Sea breeze beach hotel

Any help anyone can give most appreciated

Devon UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to choose

Lati,

It’s a “no brainer” for a lady of your discerning taste….....it’s gotta be Sandy Lane, got back from Barbados on Tuesday 20th if you want to message me.

Take care

Howard

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to choose

Hi,

Welcome to the Barbados forum! I agree it's going to have to be Sandy Lane for you, Latti! At least pre-cruise anyway. So that would sort the West Coast option. If you go for a South Coast option after the cruise then it won't be the same standard as Sandy Lane (or the Burj!!) of course ..... but I think you'd enjoy it all of the same - not an expert on kids' clubs but somebody else will help with that one.

x

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to choose

Hello both, fancy seeing you here.

This is a trip for my husband's 50th and there will be 4 of us plus my we'an who will be 7 (hence the kids club question)

So I need two rooms, one for us and the we'an and one for our best friends. Better half and his mate will play golf, although not necessarily at Sandy Lane, and me and my best mate won't, so a spa would be handy too.

Not expecting the Burj and wondering if Sandy Lane will be a bit too 'celebsville' - I've never felt anything less than totally comfortable on the few occassions I've stayed at the Burj and didn't ever worry if my sarong didn't match my cozzie - so is Sandy Lane a bit more keeping up with the Jones's, coz I couldn't bear that.

Also a firm believer in saving the best till last so the posher hotel will be at the end of our trip.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to choose

I've not stayed at Sandy Lane - opinion seems a bit divided on here as to whether or not people feel comfortable or not there. I'm honestly not sure if it would feel as relaxed as Dubai type hotels which are of such an extremely high standard but don't in any way feel "stuffy". The Almond resorts, Sea Breeze and Turtle Beach are not in the same league (not a criticism). Some other thoughts, though ...

Fairmont??

Lone Star??

Little Good Harbour??

Top end Beach Front luxury suite at Bourgainvillea??

A villa??

Think no kids' club may be an obstacle for those. I'm sure babysitting could be arranged but if your child wants the company of other children then that's not an answer but don't you just love the choosing part!!!?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to choose

I looked at the Fairmont but it is adults only from 31st October to 1 may so that's out.

Perhaps others may have opinions - I must say I'm being swayed against Sandy Lane because I think it may be a bit pretentious.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel to choose

Just returned from Colony Club (our first time to Barbados) and had a great time.

Yes, it is a little 'faded around the edges' but actor Patrick Stewart (Starship Enterprise) was staying there at the same time as us, Simon Cowell has a place just up the beach and Eddie Jordan (Formula One) was in Groots bar across the road from the Hotel - so is in a good area!

We had a luxury poolside room which had a great patio area with sunbeds, seating for 4 or 5 and built in table and rustic parasol. These are really spacious but there are also suites.

Kids Club which fellow guests kids seemed to love. Lagoon pools are shallow and not really used a lot. There are 2 other deeper and larger pools - one with swim up bar.

Smallish beach - which got pretty busy - we preferred the pool area. Really friendly staff and Management. Westmoreland golf course close by - we saw several guests with clubs. No spa.

We went on bread and breakfast basis and dined out each evening - loads of restaurants close by - 20 BBD taxi ride each way. Went out on the complimentary speed boat 3 times and saw Crystal Cove (which we had originally booked) and would defn. knock that off your list.

Hope this helps.

CHESHIRE ENGLAND
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel to choose

Hi , Discovered your message by accident as looking for an answer to a question I have. I have been to Barbados 5 times and my two daughters now 13 and 11 have spent many years visiting. Our youngest was only 2 when we first went (eldest 5). We have stayed 3 x at Almond Beach Village (and I have written a review on this). I know that its had a refurb. DEFINATELY NOT 5 STAR I think the place has gone down hill. When we first went it had a good "glitzy set" ie mainly BA crewe, sprinkling of famous and decent families.. by 3rd time too many drinking excessively. Beach is lovely and great kids and baby club. La Mer restaurant next door fab as is the Italian (no children) on site.

West coast is definately best for the glam and glitz but you will pay more. I am going to the South this year just to see the difference (Atlantic not Carribean).

Not been to any of the other places Hole Town is safe. Not much there but with the sun and sea who cares? Coz we have always just relaxed this year I would like to see more of the island so going to stay at Bouganvillea self catering with friends. Our other option was to hire a house but with kids this self catering accom gave us the best of both worlds (no nagging saying they are bored) and we have the freedom to travel.

If your first visit I would do the West

Colony Club and Crystal Cove and Taramind Cove are sister hotels and you can catch a boat between all 3. Last year we stayed at Taramind which I would rate as 4 star (being generous). Rooms lovely but entertainment lacking and very small beach. However its situated about 1/2 mile from Sandy Lane so you can walk along beach to this resort (but beware you cant stroll round hotel.. security always around) but you can mix on the beach! Also Taramind right next door to Daphne's a lovely restaurant.

I didnt rate Colony or Crystal on my visits again small beaches.

Stayed at Royal Westmorland which is a self catering establishment on golf course. Great for the hubby but kids and I got a bit bored. Accom was to die for! Travelled round which was great.

Sandy Lane has to be THE place to stay but is it worth it for the money??? not sure.

I just wouldnt do Almond Beach Village again unless you are convinced that its had an overhaul. Pity coz pools are good and kids club is fab (plenty of activities) and beach is long and clear, plus free water sports. happy hunting. now back to my search

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel to choose

If you are looking for a five star experience then I think it's safe to rule out Sea Breeze. Nothing wrong with cheap and cheerful, but if that's not your thing then I'd avoid it.

I know it's not a very "Barbadian" experience, but from your description the Hilton might be an option. They have a lovely beach with a very good kids club (so I hear, personally I have only experienced their easter egg hunt with my kids), big spacious pools and the rooms are fairly new. I know a lot of folks don't like the Hilton as it isn't really in keeping with the rest of the island nor is it particularly "Caribbean" but once you get in the door, it's actually surprisingly airy and pleasant. I know when it comes to travelling with my young kids, once they are happy, so am I (not that they are spoiled, just once they are not complaining it's a holiday for me!lol) and I think Hilton provides a lot for the kids with a lot of space which I like.

I had friends stay at Crystal Cove for their honeymoon and really didn't like it much at all as they said the all inc offered very little choice within the menu and they ended up going out to eat a lot in spite of having paid for all inc.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel to choose

Thanks to those that have replied so far. Beginning to get a better idea.

Thanks for mentioning the Hilton I hadn't consdidered that but looks good - I get what you mean about not being very Caribbean but at least the view will be. : )

Any more opinions or suggestions welcome.

Swindon UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel to choose

We have been to Dubai a few times but the year before before last we tried Barbados.

We stayed at the Sandpiper. Small, personal, great food and outstanding service. Oh and watersports are thrown in.

I would suggest this hotel to anyone.

Have a good one.