We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons Oening Date?

Louisville, KY (USA)
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Four Seasons Oening Date?

Has anyone heard any rumors regarding an anticipated opening date for the new Four Seasons? I tried checking with them via e-mail, but got a "we'll let you know" response. We're coming in early November 2009. Everything I've read says that it should be opening in 2009. Thanks!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,551 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

Unless they say they're opening "such a date" officially then it's best to take their advice and wait to be notified. Anything else will not be accurate and just create frustration.

Remember this is the Caribbean, Barbados, your talking about a major project so being late is to be expected. The only question is how late. No insult intended to Bajans, it's just a fact of life ex Almond Casaurina etc....

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
south east
Level Contributor
957 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

Just read in today's Nation that work was halted yesterday and 700 men were laid off. Apparently there will be a press conference today, but seems there is speculation that one of the investors is in trouble.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,551 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

Extract from Nation News Feb.19th, 2009

CONSTRUCTION of the Four Seasons Hotel came to a sudden halt yesterday and over 700 workers were laid off.

Around 4 p.m., droves of workers were seen leaving the Black Rock, St Michael site, along with tonnes of equipment being towed away by major contractors.

Hundreds of labourers gathered at the nearby Esso Service Station and in the car park of the resort seeking answers from their supervisors.

"A major investor in trouble and the project done," one worker told the WEEKEND NATION.

Workers said they were told yesterday evening the stoppage would be between four and eight weeks.

However, Michael Pemberton, chief executive officer of Cinnamon 88, contractors of the project, said he was reserving all comment until today, when a Press conference would be held.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

The Free Press (who had this story almost a day before the Nation) are also reporting the rumor that the developers owe lots of money to local suppliers and "will make an effort" to pay them off over the next several months.

I hope none of them are depending on that money coming in.

Louisville, KY (USA)
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

Thanks for the updates. Hopefully, they'll be able to solve their problems, both for the local economy, and for us tourists who have always enjoyed the Four Seasons product

south east
Level Contributor
957 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

Today's Nation states that work 'should' begin again next week, according to the Prime Minister. And it seems that completion 'should' still be 2011.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

Let's just hope none of the investors had their money invested with Bernie Madoff or Allen Stanford.

iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

The invester(s) threatened to pull out only because there was delay after delay after delay with the workers. They weren't getting much done and didn't want to work too hard. Thus the firings. From what I understand, all is well now and things should be back on track shortly.

south east
Level Contributor
957 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

It seems that work did not recommence this week as hoped, and M Pemberton states that all being well they will make a statement next week and hopefully work will start again soon. - Article in The Nation

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,842 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four Seasons Oening Date?

Well I have no doubt they would blame the workers however there is a recession on and no doubt local suppliers are owed money etc. etc. - yes lets blame it on the "Caribbean" and local workers but to my knowledge and from my experience in st. Lucia (which I came back from on Tuesday) with 4 major building projects coming to a halt (Le Paradis, Ritz Carlton at Black Bay, Troumassee, Raffles) due to the financing of the projects I am more inclined to believe this is the reason.

I do not deny that bulding workers in the Caribbean work slower however they get paid a pittance by normal standards so as the saying goes, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!"

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America