We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos

midlands
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mosquitos

will be staying at the sea breeze hotel 13 december. what is it like for possible mosquitoes at that timr ?

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos

To be honest there are mossie almost all year round (that said right now is fine) and December is right after the end of rainy season so you will get some but shouldn't be horrific...sand flies are another matter however - they tend to attack you around 4-5pm if you are close or have been to the beach - and I would definitely advise you bring and use a repellent daily. Boots do a great one that is very effective I find but if not repellents are sold in the supermarkets and regular shops here.

Sarah

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos

Take a course of anti-histamines a week before you get here and during your stay and any bites that you do get will not hurt you. Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos

Isn't there dengue fever in the caribbean? It's always best to try to avoid bites. Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk. Some hotels fog the area with insecticide to keep down the mosquitoes.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos

Yes there is dengue fever in the Caribbean, South America and parts of the Southern US to my knowledge but it is only carried in one particular type of mosquito.

Sarah

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos

I have to agree with the respondents here. Do what you can to avoid stings from mosquitoes and sandflies. I find that the sandflies are the most pernicious. They are very tiny and most people can't see them. They leave itchy stings that look bruised. I've used a product called Avon SSS (Skin So Soft) with good results. Not sure if you can get this. I've heard of good results with antihistimines. By the way, I often stay at a family home that is far from the beach and we get them there. You needn't on the beach to be bitten by sandflies!

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos

I agree with Sue on the antihistamine front - I take them for a week before and all the time I am there. I took it originally to help with heat rash, but have found that I don't get any reaction to bites now, it works for me.

Nicky

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitos

I agree with the antihistamine suggestion as it does help lessen the irritation of the bites you do get, but it is still preferable not to get bitten at all! Yes Dengue is a problem in Barbados, particularly around areas of stagnant water as this is where it breeds.

Just take the usual precautions to try and avoid being bitten; don't wear perfumes at night, use repellant (DEET, skin so soft etc), spray your room with BOP or something similar, the now infamous mozzie bands!!

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitos

what are they like around may time?

regards

jackie

xx

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitos

On antihisamine if you have a bad reaction to bites it is worth considering. I have a bad reaction and it does help. My Daughter is a pharmasist however and assures me that there is no point starting taking them a week before. They do not build up a defence by taking them any longer. As for protection deet really is the best and most effective. Oh and no alcohol helps!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitos

CUDDLESSURREY, I haven't noticed a decline or increase in sandfly bites during particular times of year.

There are mosquitoes that like stagnant water. Knowing this, I wouldn't be surprised if one sees an uptick in the mosquito population during the wet season. However, I wouldn't alter vacation plans around this issue. Just take the precautions that folks have recommended here.