We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
rental cars

We will be staying on the south east coast in a private villa and have been advised to rent a car for our stay. Several questions, what would be the company most recommended, should we rent from the airport or take a taxi the first day and arrange a car for later. We are staying for a total of nine days.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,331 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars

There are many points of view and they can be found by putting your topic in the search box up top.

Usually though it's best to take a taxi to your Villa and then have your car delivered the next day. Suggest you contact the car company and make arrangements before you arrive.

Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars

Canby is so right - 100s of views and opinions via the search box

I prefer to hire from the airport - saves the cost of a taxi to the villa - albeit not that high to the south east coast

Also you have the car for first thing the next morning if you want to go to the supermarket

Also returning it to the airport gives you the flexibility to set your own times - you can still drop your luggage at the departure gates

My preference is for Stoutes - they store their cars at the airport so no transport to a compound and they are IMHO the best value and you can pay for a zero excess - which not all companies do

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars

I'd second Stoutes, been using them for years and they are really reliable.

I would always get the car to be delivered the day after arrival. Its nice after a long flight to just get a taxi to the accommodation and if you need to pick up supplies on the way from the airport the driver will stop off for you. Taxis aren't very expensive, especially to the south coast and re really easy to get outside the airport, just look for the man with the clipboard, he';ll sort you a taxi out, but do agree the fare and check the driver is quoting BDS$ or USD$ befor eyou get in. Generally taxi drivers are great, but there are a small number who will try and rip you off.

Stoutes deliver their cars at about 9am, so you'd have your car nice and early the first day.

Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars

Suggest you take a cab to villa.

Road signs poor to none.

UK drivers have no problem with rental cars.

Were from US could not get used to driving on

opposite side of road.

Steering,directionals are all opposite to what we are used to.

Many US residents have no problem but I did.

Cabs are every where.

We will be going back but will use cabs.

Great island.

New York
Level Contributor
599 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars

Another vote for Stoutes. We pick up the car at airport, but if you haven't driven on the left before, it is a jolt right after arriving. I did it last year and didn't have as much trouble as I thought I would. Stoutes will also deliver to your villa. We stayed at The Belair Great House last year. Any chance that's where you will be?

Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rental cars

Thanks for the reply, we are staying a a place called idyllic villa on the south side. If you've ever heard anything about it let me know

7. Re: rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 17:21