We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer......mango bay?

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer......mango bay?

My rudimentary research has shown Mango Bay to be in our price range and I have looked at their website and read the recent reviews. We have been to Jamaica, St Thomas, Puerto Rico but, I have always wanted to visit Barbados. Can Barbados, in any way, be compared to any of the islands we visited? Any web sites that can give any insight to the history, culture, music, etc of the island? I am 61 years young, so, a big party scene isn't important, although a small one would be welcome. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks, in advance, .......dan

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

Hi Dan, I haven't actually visited the islands you mention but my gut feeling is you will find Barbados quite different as I have visited quite a few caribbean islands and found none of them to be similar to Barbados.

Take a look at Barbados.org, that website has a great deal of info about the island which should give you a good overview, Emma

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

Thank you for your input; very informative website; thank you for your reply' hoping to hear from others.......

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

I've only been to Jamaica out of the Islands you mention and thought Barbados seemed very different. Because Barbados is much smaller it is easy to see all the different areas either by car, bus or organised tour. Different areas of Barbados have different appeals and scenery. Even though it is a small Island it has a lot to offer.

Mango Bay is in Holetown and there are many bars and restaurants near by so you won't feel trapped in the hotel/resort.

Clare

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

The only place I have visited from your list is Jamaica, but I have visited other Caribbean islands. Barbados is different to the others, it still has the Caribbean charm (beaches, people, culture), but is also very developed country.

The shoestringbarbados website has a fair bit of info as well as the barbados.org website. You could also try funbarbados.com.

It's a wonderful island and I would definitely recommend giving it a go!

Mango Bay is an AI resort - it may be worth you considering elsewhere and not staying AI as it seems a shame to travel all that way and be stuck with AI when there are so many places to visit, eat and drink!

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

Thank you so much for your suggestions; I agree totally with your suggestion of not staying AI and have begun to look into staying at a villa, apartment, condo, or whatever. I had to take a break as I was overwhelmed with the number of choices and prices. Any suggestions for a 1 bedroom, on the beach, place to stay with a $150 US per night price tag? Im guessing thats a good enough place to start; planning on going in June if everything falls into place. Thank you again for all your help.....dan

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

You could try the Maresol Apartments, I've never stayed there, but they look nice!

Try looking at shoestringbarbados.com, they have links to all kinds of properties.

That's not a bad budget, so you may well be able to find somewhere quite nice.

I'm sure others will have plenty of suggestions....

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

This may suit you! - Palm Beach Condos are right next door to Mango Bay. In fact, Mango sometimes use the apartments for overflow guests. They are all privately owned but you can book through www.relaxingretreats.co.uk. There are plenty of photos on this site.

The prices are £75 per night for two people in a one bed condo.

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

Thank you to all for the wonderful suggestions. So many places to stay with so little time. They all look so great, the sheer volume is somewhat overwhelming. I plan to slow down some and try to take it all in. Thank you again............dan

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

How far is Mango Bay from St. Lawrence Gap?

south east
Level Contributor
938 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st timer......mango bay?

It normally takes us around 30-40 mins in a car.