We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Firstly many thanks to Kirimist for all pre holiday info and suggestions, very helpful and spot on regarding Blue Orchids/Coral Mist and Worthing/The Gap area, tried several eating places suggested, and if you can tie in with Happy Hr you are onto a winner.

Because of this and plenty of reviews available will not dwell on this much, but just say Blue Orchids suited us, everything we needed, clean, friendly, nice beach and pool, and Reggie (activities etc) is a must when you need assistance,info,suggestions. He got us best deal on car hire when many co's had no cars available due to high demand at that time. Some road noise at night, but very quiet at back, fridge rumbled along, did not notice it after 2 days. Think 1/2. bedroomed appts probably quieter, but we didnt need this.

We wanted to "do" after 3 days of just chilling and Reggie listened then found Twenty20 Legends cricket match at Oval - first night under new lights - absolutely fantastic (and I'm not a cricket fan!), Racing at Garrison Savannah, Polo at Clifton Hall, and we had already booked African music night at Holders. (Again great but drown yourself in Insect Repellant, noticed quite a few celeb's - David Suchet is a bit of a mover but still walks like Poirot!)

Had no problems with mozzies etc at Blue Orchid and surrounding area.

Had no car for 6 days so used local buses and ZR's $1.50BD whatever length of journey, really enjoyed the ZR's but be prepared to "get up close and personal" during peak times, and loud music, we enjoyed it, had many a happy chatty trip.

Money was a bit tight as this was an extra holiday,and its expensive, cost of living for locals is high too, so didnt get to Champers et al as hoped, in fact 1 night bought ready cooked B-B-Que chicken from Super B which did dinner and 2 lunches and their takeaway Beef stew and Macarroni pie and sweet Potato Pie good value and tasty enough, especially after a long day and our Banks' in the fridge on tap!

Oistins a must for us, went after cricket, George's great food, shared a table with Barbadian chicken farmer/wife/very elderly uncle who told lovely stories of his childhood, then as the rum kicked in told us what was wrong with the "Yout" today. (same the world over?) Got invited to Chicken farm in St Lucy.

Moved to High Holdings guest house in St. Thomas, wont say too much about this place as I dont want it to get popular as they only have 2 doubles/twins and a single. Look it up if interested. $120 US per room inc breakfast, evening meals on request. Everything just lovely, and 10 mins from Holetown, 5 mins to highway, supermarket etc., by car. Thumbscrews wont get more out of me than that!

Visited Arlington House - needs work in my opinion, good restoration of venue but neglecting a lot of info/history. Sunbury Plantation House good and had lunch/tour there departure day - recommend fish cakes but hot,hot sauce.

Because OH into photography went all over the place, North Point , East coast but wouldnt stay there. Bottom Bay further south was fab, cosy bay, sea great for body boarding or my version nose-diving, think Cave or Harrison (?) Bay may be calmer seas.

Had lots of other great experiences - hair cut for OH on 1st sunday, singing along with others to gospel and American Blues, trouble getting money from ATM met High Commissioners wife who sorted us out, watching huge turtles along pier at Oistens when fish landed around 3.30-4pm ish, and being taught about what the fish were and how they were caught. Going to Cove Bay which didnt do it for us but watching and talking to the guy who had to un tether over 30 cows (ropes 50mts long) and take them for a drink and re-site them over 20 acres- very friendly cows too! Meeting the lovely 5th & 6th formers staying at Blue Orchids, from Gordonstoun school playing hockey/netball against Barbados schools. (the girls got Barbados the boys Germany - just right!!)

Constantly getting lost ( told not lost, just not where you were trying to be) Stop trying to rely on maps/signs just ask, and dont worry its a small island, no where is that far away. And get into the horn tooting, hubbie said it helped him drive like a local! Often just fun to wander anyway, and if you are wanting to rush you are in the wrong place! Try out some of the rum shops if only for a soft drink and some food - it can be very good.

Back to wind, rain and hailstones - bit of a comedown, but sun shining today, and who knows we may have a good summer. Saving up for next trip though.

Dooley

(Linda)

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Great trip report Linda. SO glad you had a fab time. It's often the little unplanned/unexpected things that make a good trip into a fab trip - like chatting with locals, can't say I have ever got invovled in cow tethering though!!! You've got one up on me!!

Nicky

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,537 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Great trip report, really enjoyed reading it.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Glad you had a good time - great report. Sounds like you wentto Oistens on the same night we were there - did you watch the break dancing on stage?? Sounds like you have got the Barbados Bug too - join the club.

Vikki

Winchester, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

This is great, as I only joined recently I now only start to appreciate all the valuable comments made, we had such a good time in Barbados, that we are coming back for Easter, will get my act together and try my hand then at a report as well

Thanks

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Hey glittergirl

Didnt see the breakdancing as only arrived very late - didnt leave till 2am. They were clearing the stage and setting up Kareoke when we arrived- isnt it funny how that is such a big thing over there even small rum shacks advertise Kareoke evenings.

Have to say had a fun night in Holetown standing out in the street (1st or 2nd?) at bar next to Ragamuffins listening and dancing. Some them have such style and rytham.

Great time great island.

Linda

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Hey glittergirl

Didnt see the breakdancing as only arrived very late - didnt leave till 2am. They were clearing the stage and setting up Kareoke when we arrived- isnt it funny how that is such a big thing over there even small rum shacks advertise Kareoke evenings.

Have to say had a fun night in Holetown standing out in the street (1st or 2nd?) at bar next to Ragamuffins listening and dancing. Some them have such style and rythym.

Great time great island.

Linda

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Hi greenhorn

You lucky soul, back to Barbados for Easter, and yes try your hand at a report, especially if you enjoy something different.

Have a good one we are off to San Francisco (work) in a couple of weeks - looking forward to it.

regards

Linda

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

Great report and glad you had a wicked time in BIM. Especially like the bit about the horn tooting, your hubbie is spot on its the only way to drive other there lol

9. Re: trip report 14th-25th March 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 15:17