We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surfboards on buses

uk
2 posts
Save Topic
surfboards on buses

Has anyone tried to take a surfboard on a bus? Or have you seen any odd sized objects carried?

Cheers

Will (surfer on a budget - a small budget)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: surfboards on buses

I've taken a backpack and my friend a suitcase... Not sure about a surfboard though! I guess if you travelling at a quiet time (ie not morning or evening rush hours) you might be ok, but would have to be a big government bus as a board may not fit onto a reggae bus and certainly not on a van!!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: surfboards on buses

I had to stand up quite often on the buses I travelled on and that wasn't really at rush hour so not sure how you would fit a surfboard on too as they really do pack people in.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: surfboards on buses

I can absolutely promise you that somebody on one ZR we wment on had a surfboard with them. LOL! Definitely easier on the bigger buses though I'm sure.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: surfboards on buses

A few years ago my friend and I decided to rent a house over at Bathsheba for a weeks holiday. We were right opposite the Soup Bowl and every day we saw the same surfer dude get off and later, on the bus with his surf board. We later bumped into him at the Boatyard as he was staying on the South Coast - so it can and has been done!

Sarah

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: surfboards on buses

I've seen all sorts of things carried on the blue buses here. Baby Chickens in boxes with holes in going,bags of veg to market,I myself have carried my kitten in a pillowcase to the vets so no-one really took any notice. One word of advice travel off-peak as the buses get over-crowded. If you are staying on the west coast you can get a bus from Speightstown to Bathsheba this service isn't as busy as Bridgetown to Bathsheba. Good Luck!!

uk
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: surfboards on buses

thanks to everyone who got back to me on this one, and yes it was fine to take ur boards on the bus, any bigger than a 6,6 would have been interesting though, tell you what, barbados is just fab for surfing!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
682 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: surfboards on buses

//I had to stand up quite often on the buses I travelled on and that wasn't really at rush hour so not sure how you would fit a surfboard on too as they really do pack people in//

+1

interesting I live in the USA and some buses come with bike racks on the front and some trains have them as well so maybe barbados has something for surfboards ?

I would love to see you bring a surfboard onto one of those reggae buses/van

please post a video of it

New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: surfboards on buses

if you are going to do that let it not be at rush hour times dont go on the yellow buses or Zr use the Big blue ones people are more understanding on those buses.....

9. Re: surfboards on buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 07:28