We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados on a budget ??

London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Barbados on a budget ??

Hi,

I am going to barbados the middle of june (14th to 24th ) with my boyfriend a 6 year old son. We are renting a private apartment 10 mins outside holetown mainly as my son is quite pickey about what he eats and plus to try and keep the costs down.we are near topicana beach does anyone know where this is ?

obviously not everyone has simon cowell budgets where do the locals shop for grocerys? , looking to try and limit the number of meals out but wouldn't mind too do a brunch have already decided to do the sunday bus tour so would prob be good to do it on a saturday ?.

have got the vip & gourmet card already , any other tips?.

Also what are the taxi costs from the airport to holetown ?

Thanks !!!!

Altoona...
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

Hi Londonbabe,

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions as I am not booked till Feb. 2010. However, I am interested in what a VIP and gourmet card is and how I can get one. Is this something that you got in a package deal and/or something just available to travelers from the UK? Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

see this link for the vip card

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k2564…

cheers, rootsie!

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

There is a big, well stocked supermarket in Holetown but as most things are imported and the pound is down the toilet things won't seem that cheap. Look at the local lunches that the supermarket prepares as a reaonable priced lunch.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

If you want a good reasonably priced meal out I would try Just Grillin'. Make sure you ask for a loyalty card. You get it stamped each time you go & when it is full you get one free meal. Delicious!

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

I don’t know Tropicana Beach by that name – there was a Tropicana Beach Hotel that has now closed – I think it was in Lower Carlton which is about 10 mins north of Holetown

I believe the taxi fare should be around 40BDS$ … make sure you check the official list at the airport and agree the fare before you get in …. There is an ‘official organiser’ at the airport

What is the name of your apartment??

Buses are very cheap ( 50p per journey) so getting around is not expensive

The only supermarket in Holetown is Supercentre and they do have a web site …

http://www.supercentre.com/shop.html

…which will allow you to get some idea of food costs. They also do a courtesy bus if you have too much shopping for the bus …not sure if there is a charge or what route it takes

Some things are not cheap (they stock some Waitrose brands!!) but equally there are many things (chicken for example) that are on a par with the UK. It really depends on just how picky your son is about food but you can eat well and cheaply if you select carefully.

There is little alternative in Holetown to SuperCentre but some of the garages do have basics available

The pre prepared food from the supermarket is good value as is SOME of the food from the street vendors ….but may not be to your son’s taste

If you go north to Speightstown there is a Jordans that is a little cheaper and also street stalls for fruit and veg

Eating out on the west coat is not particularly cheap and there are few ‘fast food’ chains - unlike the south coast

We ate at Just Grillin’ and were very disappointed and it was not ….IMHO… that cheap. An American friend with us (and an ardent fan of fast food) was also very disappointed

Plain burger – 12.95 BDS$, Cheeseburger – 14.95BDS$

Grilled Potatoes (no chips) – 6.50 BDS$

Top of the Grill Platters (inc 2 sides) ….. 27.95 – 35.95 BDS$

Sandwich Platters (inc 2 sides) ……. 17.95 – 20.95 BDS

A much better deal (we thought) was Groots – just north of Holetown – virtually opposite Coral Reef. Owned by an Englishman from Warrington it serves a combination of English and Bajan classics …including Snapper and Chips with Mushy Peas!! and a good Roti. Prices from 18 BDS$. Evenings only

Most buffets are offered on a Sunday – I don’t remember seeing any for a Saturday … they are rarely cheap and IMHO are not the best value around …unless you can eat huge amounts at lunchtime!!!

The VIP card is a good deal but the Gourmet Card is a somewhat restricted on choice of restaurants and those on the list are mainly in the mid to high price range. I used the Gourmet card a week ago today and we did get the 25% but it was ONLY off the price of the main course – nothing off the desert or wine or coffee.

Do you mean the Transport Board Sunday Scenic Tour ???? …this is not a full day tour and goes to a different part of the island each Sunday

As an alternative to the Sunday Bus tour you could consider Ted’s Tour …put it into the search box for plenty of comments – basically it is the best day tour on the island !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

hi,

Thanks for all the info went to barbados 10 years ago so not up on what is available but i did go on the buses last time which was great .

You are a mine of information , have def decided not to splash out £300 on a hire car and to cab it to the apartment and back then buses.

will def search out the street venders he eats chicken !!!!!

THANKS !!!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

You can do a tour of the island by Transport Board Bus.

Holetown to Speightstown

Speightstown to Bathsheba

Bathsheba to The Globe Cinema

Globe Cinema to Oistens or Silver Sands or Airport.

If you pack lightly??? You can get a bus from West Coast straight to The airport and that certainly won't break the bank at 1.50bds each. If you see any white vans with queues of people at it you will get good wholesome local food at a reasonable cost.

The fisherman's pub in Speightstown is good.

Any rum shop usually does cutters (baps) filled with Flying fish, ham, cheese etc. Anyone who serves food has to be approved by the Ministry of Health so standards are good. Thats probably part of the reason we get so many return visitors!! I believe Verdarose and Emelda are arriving shortly and these people certainly have high standards. Your right you don't have to be Simon Cowell or Sir Cliff and I bet they enjoy the Street Food as well truth be told.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

There is a nice chinese which is in road view (just before Speightstown) which is good value - East Moon. Surf side in Holetown can be good value for lunches. Defo go to Jordans or Eddies in Speightstown if you can as they will be cheaper then Supercentre in Holetown (supercentre is geared more towards tourists whereas eddies and jordans are where the locals shop).

I think there are more 'budget' restaurants on the south coast, but I am not familiar with the south coast so can't advise - sorry. There is the oisten bus which will pass through holetown which will take you to the south coast. Maybe worth doing it for a day trip??

Vikki

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

Can confirm what Glittergirl has said about East Moon and Surfside. East Moon has recently been refurbished following a fire ( I believe) . Road View is an area just north of Mullins Beach so it's closeness will depend on exactly where you are staying

Another one to consider in Holetown is Zaccios ( formerly Cocomos)- on the beach - great for lunch and not bad for dinner if you choose simply ....also do reasonable looking pizzas

Looks as though Tropicana Beach is the northern part of what I know as Reeds Bay ...just below Gibbes Beach ( one of the best on the island IMHO)

If this is the case you are not right on top of much at all !! but the bus service along that road is excellent

10. Re: Barbados on a budget ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 06:17