We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Experts

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Destination Experts

Enquiring minds want to know....Are you guys/gals compensated by TA/Expedia with trips,miles,discounts,coupons...anything?! Are any of you born and bred in Barbados,or of Bajan decent? I know someone that might be interested in becoming one and wanted to know if it was paid or compensated in any way...and before you ask, No it isn't me....I get all kinds of freebies via my job.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Experts

No we are not paid in any way for our contributions to this website and do it purely because we have the knowledge and want people to come to Barbados and enjoy themselves from the get go rather than be uninformed and find out the info when they are ready to go home. I think its got something to do with the quality and quantity of information you provide if its not that I don't know how. Although I'm sure if there was anything on offer it would be appreciated!! It certainly wouldn't deter us from contributing if we continued as we are. I'm a barbadian citizen by marriage from North Wales originally and probably know more about Barbados than my home!!!! Just keep posting you never know!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Experts

Wow,interesting. Well! if it was up to me, I would compensate you for the wonderful wealth of knowledge you all provide. It's not like they can't afford it! Shame on you TA/Expedia....oh boy,I'm gonna be banned if I keep it up!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Experts

All I receive is the pleasure of helping others. I do believe that the more seasoned experts might get some sort of recognition or award.

I was born in New York, raised in Barbados and I'm a dual national American/Bajan. (Don't think being "Barbadian" is a requirement for the DE designation on this particular forum.) When I was tapped to be a DE it took me months to respond I was so busy.

Good luck to your friend!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Experts

As others have said, there is no compensation/reward other than knowing you're helping out!

I was emailed by TA to ask if I would do this based on my contributions over the last couple of years - you can also nominate people to do this if you feel they should!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination Experts

Same as above. No compensation.. we certainly don't do this for money.. I've received a calender in the past and a lovely lime green bag (which took forever to arrive). I know that from time to time they do give out things, but few and far between and not everyone gets something.. sooo..

I'm from North Carolina, Married a Bajan, moved here 16 1/2 years ago and have 3 bajan born children.

I've actually suggested that we go back to the distinction of Local experts and destination experts. Locals don't always know about hotels (having never stayed in them) but we do know whats going on, on the island. Destination experts are more familiar with the hotels and villas.

Also. not many people know the connection between TripAdvisor, Expedia and Cruise Critic.. (funny enough, I'm a destination expert on TA, but I've been banned from Cruise Critic for being a local and comenting on specific local places by name.. go figure).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination Experts

This thread has been very helpful. Here I am hunting down information about an Alaska summer cruise and I didn't even know about cruise critic! I checked it out and it's exactly what I needed.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination Experts

There is no compensation for our advice, but it gives us all the pleasure of helping others out with our knowledge of Barbados.

We are invited to become Destination Experts by TA based on the number of replies we have given and the accuracy of the content supplied.

I live in Fairfax, VA, but have traveled to Barbados 28 times (all 2 week trips or more), and have gained an indepth knowledge of the island over the years. As mentioned by someone, as I have stayed in hotels and villas on the island, I can be very helpful in that area and give my replies with a visitor's perspective in mind.

It's a wonderful service offered covering all areas of the world and I love doing it.

Lois

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination Experts

Thanks to all you destination experts!!!! I very much appreciate all you do, you all provide so much great information about Barbados!...Peggy

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destination Experts

We try!!!

Sarah

10. Re: Destination Experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2009, 05:26