We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Day Flights to Barbados

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Day Flights to Barbados

Hi There!

We will once again return to Barbados on January 1 for 3 months. Do you think we will have any problems with flights that day? Last year we booked in May but that was for a February 1 departure. Looking forward to any advise. Most likely will fly out of Detroit again.

Thanks in advance,

Bubbygirl

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,073 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

The only ones who can answer your question about flights are the airline companies. To my knowledge planes do fly on New Years, it's just who will be flying then and how much. Plus will the weather be good enough or will you get caught in a snow storm. Again, sorry, I don't have the answer and I don't think anyone else has one that gives you a guarantee.

Best of Luck

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

The vast majority of airlines do not cancel flights (or reschedule) because of a Public Holiday and that includes New Years Day...many people prefer not to travel on that day so you may be lucky and get a good discount!

As the previous poster says - only the airlines can really answer your question so best to check them soon o'clock I'd say to avoid disappointment.

Sarah

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

I am a travel agent and have checked the airlines system. It appears Delta have a flight via Atlanta available on Jan 1st 2010 with plenty of availability in economy. American Airlines have availability in economy via Miami, but is already looking pretty busy.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

Thanks for the replies. We just booked one hour ago and managed to book the last two seats on American Airlines via Miami from Detroit. We think the price was very good at $ 936.00 Canadian return. The prefer connecting in Miami because it's avoids connecting in a cold city where snow can interfere. We also have a 7 hour layover in Miami so that buys us some time if weather is bad in Detroit. So pleased have this booked! Can't wait to return!

Bubby

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

Glad you managed to get yourselves booked!!

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

Someone in the know once told me that Jan 1st is one of the worst times to travel since the most senior staff (pilots and flight attendants) have first dibs on booking off dates like this. I suppose it may vary from airline to airline.

My experience is anecdotal... I have just travelled once on that date and indeed it was one of the worst service experiences I have had on a flight. So whether the theory is true or just my bad luck, I will continue to avoid Jan 1st if possible.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

...LOL...great to hear that the more experienced pilots will be off and perhaps the ones flying are hurting from the previous night. It's a done deal now and I'm really worried about that. I cannot see any major airline putting customers at risk like that.

Bubby

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

coming back to blighty on a Virgin on New Years Day

hope that the crew will feel better than I will!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

LOL....I hear ya on that one!!!!

Bubby

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Day Flights to Barbados

Nah, I don't thnik the one flying will be hurting from the previous night. Well, they aren't supposed to be!