We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back May 16

Connecticut
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just got back May 16

After spending two weeks (my 27th time)on the Gap, here are my observations:

About the first 4 days, May 1 thru 4 - very rainy. Otherwise, the weather was very good with a cool breeze. It was not as hot as it usually is.

There seemed to be a lot less tourists than usual.

Even though the taxis have to abide by the tariff rates, some of cabbies still try to get away with asking for more.

The work on Oceans 2 (former Rainbow Reef) was halted due to lack of funds. Workers were laid off just before we arrived.

Boomer's looked like a Mayan ruin. However, during our second week, it was razed in three days - totally flattened.

Cafe Jungle and Jumbie's are no longer.

Whistling Frog has turned into Red Rock.

Salt Ash bar is still going.

We called Aqua one evening several times for reservations, but no answer. Is it still in business?

Those were the changes that we noticed. Everything else was great, as usual.

Glory Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Emmanuel Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Coconut Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back May 16

Interested in your comment on Aqua because we went past it on 9th May, which was a saturday evening, and it looked like it was closed.

We were in a taxi with very blacked out windows so I wasn't sure, but thought it a bit strange. Wonder if they have shut up shop?

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back May 16

Scary posted this on another thread a couple of weeks ago.....

I should also mention that a few places have recently closed - Aqua Restaurant in Hastings, Coast on the corner of the Gap, Jumbies (but relocating to Paynes Bay), Cafe Jungles TreeHouse in Dover.

So yes it looks like Aqua has closed.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back May 16

Yes Aqua is closed. Jumbie's is moving to Paynes Bay and they are hoping to open 1st June. The old Jumbies is being taken over by the Lucky Horse Shoe with a Paolo's Brazilian restaurant upstairs apparently.

Glad they have finally done something with the old TGI Boomers - years ago that place used to be a really good spot to go! I have spent many "happy" hours in there....

Coast on the corner of the Gap has also closed which hasn't really suprised me...probably a bad time to try out a new busniness but still a shame.

Cafe Jungles are still operational at the Sheraton Centre.

Sarah

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back May 16

Shame about Aqua (and all of the others!) closing - we had a great meal there but the signs were that things were very quiet back in April. Pity about Coast - we didn't go in but it looked nice from the outside.

Ontario
Level Contributor
715 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back May 16

Aqua’s has closed and looks like it will soon have a new tenant. http://bit.ly/9KD5C

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back May 16

I am looking forward to Jumbies opening up in Paynes Bay - finally we can go partying without having to ride a bus for an hour!!

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back May 16

That spot in the Gap where Coast was seems to be jinxed, no-one seems to have survived there for very long, it's sad. It's bad news for the south coast if both Southseas and Wispers are in trouble....no fine dining on the south ;o(

When we were at the Cliff earlier this month only the bottom level of the restaurant was being used. There were a few tables occupied on the first tier, but that was it.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back May 16

That has made me sad to hear of all the restaurants in trouble although it is to be expected I suppose. I had not tried Aqua but loved it when it was Champers. I really enjoyed Southsea and have also eaten at Jumbies.I also loved the setting of Calabaza although I haven't eaten there but did when it was called Kokos.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back May 16

Kirimist -

Regarding your mentioning fine dining on the south coast, we had never been to Pisces or Josef's before (and they have been around for more years than I can remember). We finally dined at both this visit, and I believe the food and views were great. We preferred Josef's food and ocean view more, and Pisces service needs to be stepped up.

NH
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back May 16

Is Salt Ash hotel still renting rooms ? Glad to hear TGI boomers was leveled