We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK visitor perspective

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
UK visitor perspective

A big thank you to the DEs and some notable others (Gemma 1 for price/restaurant info and Matt 1983 for the best explanation of the weather that I have read!) for helping me plan our holiday - returned to UK on Friday 22 May. We had a super time staying at the Hilton (hope separate review will appear soon). Lots of cloud and lots of sun, no rain which was lucky as early May had a fair amount of rain. The people we met were so lovely, the beaches beautiful and the sea so warm.

A couple of notes for visitors -

I used a Blue Connect phone card available for BDS 10 or 20 and calls via toll free number were BDS0.49 per minute anytime. The hotel rate was over BDS 6 per minute. We bought the cards at the airport convenience store turn right out of the arrivals building walk for a minute and the store next to the bank on your right sells them.

Taxis were good value and look on this forum for link to Government site with tariff. Always agree price and currency before your trip. When I asked for a taxi at a fixed price that was the same as the published price I had no problem. But use the despatcher (blue shirt and official notepad) at the airport.

A no thank you to any hawker worked. There are lots at the airport and on Broad Street Bridgetown.

The water was fine so dont waste your money on bottles of it - save your money for Banks and Mount Gay.

If you are going shopping and want duty free prices where applicable take your passport or driving licence for ID.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK visitor perspective

Welcome home Zubat and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed Barbados. I haven't stayed at the Hilton but have looked round and thought it looked lovely. Good tips you have given too.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK visitor perspective

Glad you had a good time. Hope you are not too jet lagged lol.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK visitor perspective

Glad to hear that you had a great time in Barbados and that you missed the rain :-)

4. Re: UK visitor perspective

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2009, 05:32