We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling off Oistins pier

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Topic
Snorkelling off Oistins pier

I've picked up comments about snorkelling off Oistins pier, how do you go about it? Does that mean jumping off the pier or what, if not then from whereabouts and how safe is it. Will flippers be needed?

London, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling off Oistins pier

We fed the turtles from that pier a couple of weeks ago. Didn't snorkel but it didn't look like it would be a problem either. There were not many boats moored when we were there and it didn't look too deep (you could see the bottom). The pier is on two levels so with stairs in places.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling off Oistins pier

we also fed the turtles from here. There were a few local lads there at the time and they were doing exactly that, jumping off the pier. It really isn't that deep at all. You would not need flippers, in fact where we were swimming flippers would have been a nuisance because of the depth. There was not much else to see apart from the turtles, lots of better snorkelling to be had elsewhere.

Fleet, Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling off Oistins pier

Like the other posters, we didnt snorkel there but did feed the turtles (you have to throw the fish down so it "slaps" the water and then the turtles hear it).

I would suggest you just jump in and see how you get on. Barbados is so laid back I don't think anybody will object.

Flippers if you want them, if you prefer to go bare foot, go for it.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling off Oistins pier

You would do it by going from Miami beach and swimming over (not far) with your fins. Just take off from the beach to the right of the lifeguard station, as you face the sea, where the water is really flat.

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling off Oistins pier

Thanks for all the replies, I get the 'picture' now. We'll go over during walkabouts and see for ourselves.

Didn't use flippers off Paynes Bay either when swimming around the turtles there.

6. Re: Snorkelling off Oistins pier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 07:41