We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant At Southsea

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant At Southsea

I have just read a very sad article about the manager of The Restaurant At Southsea. Apparently he has been found hanging in his home. His name is Alfred Maurice Taylor, very sad news indeed.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
834 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

Good grief, that is awful news. I had the pleasure of meeting him once, he seemed a lovely man. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

I am totally shocked. Alfred was such a wonderful warm person - thoroughly enjoyed greeting all of h is guests. Where did you read this?

barbados
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

The story was on our evening tv news last night.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

Lois I read it on another forum. There are worries that Southsea may have to close apparently, business has not been good, the same with other ones too.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

Lois, the story is in the Nation Newspaper today, as well as the advocate. check online. I heard about it yesterday at Noon yesterday.. Very Very sad news.

Another friend (also in the restaurant/tourism business) passed by the Southsea last night and of course it was closed, but she couldn't confirm to me that it was closed permanently or even for renovations.

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

You can find the unfortunate news online at the Nation

nationnews.com/news/local/Alfred-Taylor-FRON…

hope the link works.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

Here is the article from the Nation News for all who might want to read. I am deeply saddend as he was a good friend of ours.

HOTELIER FOUND DEAD

by GERCINE CARTER

VETERAN HOTELIER Alfred Taylor is dead.

The body of 65-year old Taylor was discovered at his home Maple Villa, in Marine Gardens, Hastings, around 10:30 a.m. yesterday.

Police public relations officer Station Sargeant Anthony De Peiza told the Press: "Police are investigating an unnatural death where Alfred Maurice Taylor, 65 years, late of Maple Villa, Marine Gardens Central, was found hanging in a bathroom at his residence."

A suicide note was found at the residence.

Taylor, the son of the late Charlie Taylor, himself a pioneer in the local hotel industry, grew up around the Hotel Royal in Hastings, owned by his father.

He went on to have a distinguished hotel career spanning more than 40 years. He was a front office manager at the original Barbados Hilton, and went on to manage hotels such as the former Holiday Inn and Sandy Beach.

He also managed a hotel in St Lucia, the Miami-based Sandals Resort, and his services as a consultant in the area of staff training and development were employed by hotels locally and internationally.

Five years ago, Taylor, along with partners, opened the award-winning The Restaurant At Southsea in St Lawrence Gap. It quickly achieved the internationally recognised Zagat rating.

The ebullient hotelier and restaurateur was also a former president of the Caribbean Hotel Association, and a winner of the prestigious Caribbean Hotelier Of The Year Award.

A stunned Peter Odle, hotelier and chairman of the Caribbean Hotel Association, told the MIDWEEK NATION yesterday: "Alfred was a perfectionist; an outstanding hotelier who brought a level of professionalism to the business . . . . He was a no-nonsense guy, but he had a heart of gold and his staff always talked about that part of him."

Executive vice-president of the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association (BHTA), Sue Springer, remarked emotionally: "It is a very sad day for Barbados to know that we have lost such an outstanding hotelier."

President of the BHTA, Wayne Capaldi, expressed "deep sadness" on behalf of the association. He described Taylor as a long-standing supporter of the BHTA who served as a former president and as a board member for many years.

"Tourism will be all the poorer for [the] loss," Capaldi said.

These sentiments were also expressed by chairman of the Barbados Tourism Authority, Ralph Taylor.

"Alfred was the consummate hotelier who understood the concept of quality long before it became fashionable. More than being a great hospitality icon, he had tremendous impact on Caribbean tourism," Taylor said.

Among those mourning their loss are mother Sylvia; brothers Allan (calypsonian the Mighty Whitey) who was at home at the time of the discovery and Tony; and sister Patricia.

Taylor has a son, Barry, a chef at The Restaurant At Southsea, and a daughter, Tina.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

What forums are you getting current restaurant news for Barbados? I would like to check them out. Thanks for letting me know.

Lois

Ottawa
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

This sad news indeed. Mr Taylor welcomed us on my first trip to The Restaurant at Southseas in '07 and is one of the reasons I have returned multiple times. One of the best restaurants on the island and my personal favorite. My thoughts go out to his family and staff.

Haslemere, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant At Southsea

What an upsetting end to a warm and welcoming guy!

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Taylor several times on our most recent trip and he was very welcoming. However he did say that business was the worst he had ever experienced and that something had to change or that it might be the end of SouthSea. Restaurants come and go however people are irreplaceable.

My condolences to his family!