We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Barbados

derbyshire
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Barbados

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of going to Barbados with my finance in Feb/March 09 (age 27- 33) for two weeks.

We would go self catering, can anyone advise on the typical prices for meal etc.. in restaurants and availability of supermarkets. We would also be interested in seeing the island/ culture so any trips that could be recommended?

Also is anyone knows what the weather is like that time of year?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Barbados

Presume you mean 2010.

Suggest you take each of your questions and put them in the search box and you will find a great deal of information already suppled to the same questions 1000's of times over.

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Barbados

If you have to use a search box for eveything, why have a forum, why not just have a giant FAQ list, if you do not want to answer don't read the thread.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Barbados

Whereabouts are you thinking of staying? I included prices of the meals we had in my (lengthy) trip report: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k25…

However it will only be helpful to you if you're staying in or close to the Gap and eating at the cheaper end restaurants.

Re the weather, we went early Feb and did have a few showers (liquid sunshine lol) but on the whole the weather was good. It's not the rainy season but it appears to rain somewhere on Barbados most days though hopefully not for long.

barbados
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Barbados

Gimme a five,WillSandy...i was thinking the same thing.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Barbados

Will-Sandy,

"If you have to use a search box for eveything, why have a forum, why not just have a giant FAQ list, if you do not want to answer don't read the thread."

Actually your question raises an excellent point and it's really a matter of perspective. There is a FAQ Post right at the top of the Barbados Forum Page and then on the left hand side of the page under More On Barnados is a list of 5 subjects that will give anyone an easy insight to Barbados on just about anything you would want to know.

Some people like to ask a question without doing any basic research. I know on other forums on TA and other sites most new people are referred to the references I mentioned and then asked to come back with specific questions. It's really a matter of what the individual wants. In fact some people when referred to the references really apprteciate it and others don't. C'est la vie.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Barbados

Interesting comment Will-Sandy. The thing is, there is alot of useful information on this site that many DEs and others have taken the time to post about the 'Things To Do', 'Restaurants', etc. There are also many people that have taken the time to write reviews of hotels they have frequented. So are you saying that none of this information is necessary? I know that on other similar travel sites, people are directed to read the information on the site or are asked to do a search first before posting a question, and most people do appreciate that direction.

england
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Barbados

Ah yes the reviews etc are very good, but what I like about this forum is people come on here, ask a question, which may have been asked many times before, but the answers are always interesting to read, and the thread sometimes meanders back and forth and different things come up.

I have often read about something, say on a restaurant thread, and thought oh haven't heard or thought of that one before may be we will try it.

It is also always good to get up to date views on prices in supermarkets restaurants etc. as they do change.

Some of the answers are most amusing too, e.g. Actons comments on the ZR buses! I enjoy reading this forum and to hear different peoples different ideas.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Barbados

Hi, When I first joined the forum I had no idea how it all worked, so I appreciated it when someone suggested that I put my questions in the search box. I couldn't believe the tremendous amount of information that I found, above and beyond the questions I had been asking! If I couldn't find an answer to a question, I asked it on the forum and many people were kind enough to help me out!! So thanks again to all who have helped me in the past and I know will help in the future as well!...Peggy

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Barbados

Well if you have no life and live for the forums then it's good for you, some people do not have time to go through hundreds of threads and a quick response is what you are looking for.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Barbados

Guess what Will-Sandy, I do have a life, but I also enjoy learning more about Barbados, sometimes via the search box and sometimes by asking questions on the forum. I'm a little disappointed, thought Canadians were usually more polite, your response was not!