We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garrison Savannah

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Garrison Savannah

Thinking of going to the races on our next trip to Barbados. Can anyone tell me if there is a dress code? Are shorts allowed?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garrison Savannah

Go to this website for your information http://www.barbadosturfclub.com/default.aspx

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Garrison Savannah

I know of no dress code - seen plenty of people wearing shorts.

You don't even have to go into the stands if you don't want. So if you just want to catch a race or two it may be better than paying to go into the stnads. There are official places around the venue that take bets.

Activities in the middle of the savannah as well.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garrison Savannah

Thanks CarryOnBag. Thought that would be the case. I had been in contact with them some time ago and they kind of suggested theri was a dress code but perhaps that was for the 'posh' stands.

Canby. I had already visited the site - not that stupid! There is no word of a dress code.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garrison Savannah

When we last went (April) 2008 there was DEFINITELY no dress code ...even in the stands

The only time I imagine this could alter in ceratin areas is on the Special race days they have for the big sponsored events

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garrison Savannah

I have never been in the stands but elsewhere people were just wearing shorts, just casual, not particularly dressed up at all. There are vendors selling beer and food, it's a good day.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garrison Savannah

Dunnedq,

"Canby. I had already visited the site - not that stupid! There is no word of a dress code"

No I don't think you're that stupid but the pictures on the website tell just about everything you would want to know. People dressed in shorts. Now others have told you the same thing.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,899 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garrison Savannah

Speaking as a member of the Turf club, there is a dress code if you are lucky enough to be invited into the Member's lounge or any of the boxes. That is long trousers, and a shirt ( tie optional ) Other than that, I agree there is no dress code.

Racing in Barbaos is wonderful fun and well worth the effort. If you intend to sit in the general stand, a cushion is a good idea !

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,899 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garrison Savannah

Meant to say, "a tie is optional but preferable" and gentlemen should not wear sandals.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garrison Savannah

Mdp963, Forestred, Sadowner

Thanks all for your helpful comments.

Sadowner, do you get your name from owning bad horses?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,899 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garrison Savannah

Just another thought. Visitors have been, in the past, able to pay to go in the Owners and Trainer's stand which has it's own bar and snacks, and comfier chairs, Long trousers are expected in there as well, and ladies should wear a dress or smartish cut offs or trousers, not shorts.