We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
money

we are wondering if they take us dollars at oistins fish fry and markets for souveniers. to only do those things and maybe an excursion is it beneficial to exchange money? we are staying at turtle beach---will they exchange there?

thx 4 more sleeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
375 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

Yeah, Oistens takes US dollars with no worries. Any change you get back would be in Barbados dollars. My girlfriend and I just got back last Thursday and had a blast at Oistens. All of the vendors accept US Dollars also.

I doubt it would be beneficial to exchange currency just for those things. Most hotels will exchange currency for you also. I cannot speak specifically or Turtle Beach tho as I have never stayed there. If you use the ATM's there you will also get Barbados dollars.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

I can't think of anywhere that won't take USD. We always take them for the first few days of our holiday and have no problems.

Last time I was at Oistins a local guy behing me in the queue for George's spotted the USD in my hand and asked if he could change them (1USD:2BDS) as his wife was going on a trip the following week. I ended up changin all the ones I had on me with him. He was happy and so was I. I've often done that for friends out there as well.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money

I agree - can't think of anywhere that won't accept US$, but as mentioned you will always get your change in Barbados $.

Just make sure you clarify which currency you are dealing in as the occasional crafty vendor will try and confuse you and rip you off! Most people in Barbados would never do that, but just be careful of the few that will!

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: money

Sometimes when paying with US $ there are some vendors that offer change back in US$. But don't expect that to be the case often. Either they don't have the change in US$ or they want to hold on to any US $ they have.

5. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 06:20