We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

HI,

we are lucky to be visiting Barbados over Christmas 2009. We will be self-catering so have a few questions about eating out on Christmas Day and transport / services on Boxing Day. We are staying north of Holetown, nearer Speightstown.

Although I am happy to cook a mini Christmas dinner we thought it may be nice to eat in a restaurant for the festive atmosphere - any suggestions that are available to non-residents (if hotel) or is there anywhere Local to eat on that day? We'd prefer fairly casual and more than happy to eat in local cheap and cheerful eatery but considering hotels too ! Also, do the public buses run on Boxing Day so we can go to the Races? Are the 'starmarts' open for essentials like milk?

any other suggestions for celebrating Christmas in Barbados? Do people picnic on the beach like in Aus or is it really a 'family at home' time?

thanks

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

I can answer some of your question as I am Barbadian. On Christmas it is an at home day with family time and rest and relaxation.On boxing day more ppl are out on picnics. Last year someone asked this question and there were a few that offered a lunch. This information is in the newspapers leading up to Christmas. Yes there is public transport on this day but it will be super quiet.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

The buses run all over Christmas and New Year here. Most gas station shops will be open for essentials too.

Some people do like to picnic on the beach but you'll find that traditional Christmas day for most families is at home or visiting friends....

There will certainly be places open to eat but the more upscale places will be booked up.

Sarah

UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

thank you both very much - most helpful as ever.

Any suggestions for somewhere to book for Christmas Day meal anyone?

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

well it really depends where you are staying, how much you want to spend, what you like etc.

UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

staying near Speightstown.

Would prefer mid-range or even cheap ! Not narrowed it down much, have I? We like to eat local and have not visited any of more expensive restaurants so have little knowledge of them. I have heard that Mangoes is good so will check out their website. Do you know if they usually offer Christmas dinner?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

Hi there

My friend and I are also planning to be in barbados over christmas (8th-30th) staying near holetwon.

Have you made any plans as yet??

G

7. Re: Christmas lunch and transport on Bank Holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 05:16