We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inc or room only... help!

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
All inc or room only... help!

Hi, I really can't decide between Barbados and Antigua. I am starting to think room only would be a better option than all inclusive for Barbados, does anyone agree?

I know Antigua isn't so lively, so was thinking all inclusive, but im not tempted by many of the resorts, would anyone recommend doing room only in Antigua? Or can anyone recommend a great all inclusive on either island? Many thanks

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: All inc or room only... help!

For Barbados I prefer not to go AI just because there are too many great restaurants to visit.

You might consider a place that has some self-catering (i.e room with a kitchenette) so you can do breakfast or the odd meal.

My experience with AI food in general, though not in Barbados, is that it is either not that great (quantity over quality) or when the quality is there it is very expensive as they need to budget for some people eating lots (perhaps more than they normally would since it is included).

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inc or room only... help!

There is always plenty of discussions around this topic.

I believe a lot of people go AI on their first trip to Barbados, because its easier and they don't know the island. Repeat visitors tend to go RO with some kitchen facilities.

There are so many good restaurants of all price ranges on Barbados and its relatively easy to get about and also its relatively safe. There is also none of the well know AI holiday resorts on Barbados. All these things tend to make RO attractive.

At the moment with the 'credit crunch' AI are becoming popular with all holiday makers as it easier to budget.

If I was going AI I would go to the Turtle Beach. I am a 'south coaster'.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inc or room only... help!

I would agree that room only (with kitchen) is the way to go in Barbados as there is such a good selection of places to eat from roadside stalls/vans to top notch restaurants.

The most densely populated areas for restaurants are Holetown on the west coast and Worthing to the Gap on the south coast.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,750 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inc or room only... help!

I'd definitely go for room only or self catering in Barbados, but then eating out at different restaurants is one of my greatest enjoyments when I'm on holiday. We stayed in the Gap where there are a good selection of restaurants within easy walking distance and eating out doesn't have to cost a fortune.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inc or room only... help!

Another vote for the room only/self catering option!

It makes life soooo much easier having a kitchen/kitchenette, makes you feel more "at home". As others have said, there are many many places to eat out on the island too.

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: All inc or room only... help!

Hi, many thanks for all your replies, looks like 'room only' is the way to go!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inc or room only... help!

I do agree about not doing AI but I would certainly go for breakfast included. Tourism is very slow in Barbados, hotels are quite empty. I would contact the hotel and see if they would throw in breakfast into the room rate. If not I would consider purchasing bed and breakfast, I think it would save you money in the long run.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
375 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All inc or room only... help!

There are a lot of hotels with kitchens in them. I have been to Barbados twice now and have stayed on the South and West coasts. Both times we had a kitchen and ate most of our meals in the room. It's a much cheaper way to enjoy the trip. We ate dinner out so we could try all of the different restaurants the island offers.

There's such a wide variety of really good restaurants that range from inexpensive to extravagant.

The only way I would choose an AI trip is if I found an incredible deal that coulnd't be passed up. Then at least you woudln't feel bad if you ate out a few times while on an AI trip.

Whether you go self catering or AI, you MUST try out Oistens Fish Fry on Friday nights. It's a very large "party" where locals and tourists go to eat and have fun. They play music also and have souvenir stands by the beach where you can get some very nice things. Let me know if you want more information on it and I can send you some pictures of what it's like.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inc or room only... help!

I think AI is good but obviously depends what type of holiday you want and how much you want to spend. Barbados can be expensive so you will have to allow for all the extras, drinks, 2 or 3 x meals daily. Some entertainment is usually included in AI but will not be on room only.

Maid service/cleaning etc can also be extra.

I see you have also been to The Tucan in Mexico (we were there about 3 years ago) and although really enjoyed ourselves we much prefer Barbados.

essex
Level Contributor
521 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inc or room only... help!

i'm afraid i only go all inclusive for the plain and simple fact that you've paid up front and you do not have to worry.

but saying that you can take yourself off a few times and eat somewhere else can't you ?

barbados is very expensive to eat out, so i've been reading.