We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

London, Ontario...
8 posts
Save Topic
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

My wife and I are staying at the Accra Beach Hotel. Has anyone stayed there? What did you think of the hotel? This is our first time in Barbados we chose not to do the hotel transfer does anyone know the going rate for cab/taxi fare? Any suggestions on restaurants in the area? Opinions on cool runners catamaran tour? Is there a dress code for the restaurants in the area?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

I've never stayed there so can't comment on that, have you looked at the reviews?

I would guess a taxi would cost around BDS£ 40-50. The other option (if you don't have too much luggage) would be to take the bus, it goes straight through from the airport and would cost BDS$1.50 each!

St Lawrence Gap isn't too far from Accra where there is an abundance of bars/restaurants for all tastes/budgets. Probably about ten minutes by bus or cab (depending on traffic). Some places require a reasonably high standard of dress, others don't. If you do a search on here you'll find lots of similar discussions/suggestions.

Again, I've never done the cat tour, but anyone that has seems to highly recommend it!

Have a great time!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

I stayed at Accra Beach Hotel about 15 months ago. I thought that the location was wonderful --right on the beach, across from Quayside Market and next to the bus to Bridgetown/ or Speightstown. Accra Beach Hotel is a leisurely 20 minute walk to St. Lawrence Gap. Here you will find a strip of popular restaurants and clubs.

Now the bad about Accra Beach. I found the service to be inconsistent and the older wing in disrepair. (You may want to try asking for a room in the new wing.) I must say, in all fairness, that this was 16 months ago, so many things could have been improved.

When you arrive at the airport there should be a dispatcher you will give you a quote on the taxi fare. I think that it should be less than $40BBDS. There is also a bulletin board with the prices close to the point of dispatch. The airport is probably the safest place to get a taxi in Barbados.

Check out St. Lawrence gap for restaurants and Quayside Market for fast food, junk food and Just Grillin' -- a pretty decent fish spot. Oh! And there's also Chefette (a burger/roti/salad joint) right next to Quayside Market.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,423 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

The Accra Beach Hotel is in an excellent area. Within walking distance is Just Grillin' (as mentioned), Bistro Monet, Black Pearl/Opa, Bert's Bar, Ackee Tree, Bubba's Sports Bar, Shakers, Kan'ei, Champers. All the restaurants for lunch or dinner require proper shorts/shirts & shoes. At Champers for an evening meal gentlemen usually wear long trousers, but wearing dress shorts isn't a problem. The same goes for the restaurants in St. Lawrence Gap.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

The taxi should be about $40BDS.

Don't forget to try out Shakers - walk up the road at the side of Bubbas until you see the Chicken Delight sign, turn left and it is just down there on the right. It is a small place and small menu but the food is fab, the prices cheap and the mudslide dessert drink is to die for. The most we spent there for a meal for two with drinks and the dessert drink was $86BDS.

Most of the restaurants round there are very casual, but you might want to dress up a bit if you go to Champers. Don't forget the Gap is only a short bus ride away ($1.50 each) where there are lots more restaurants. I personally like Flying Fish, Cafe Sol and Harlequins there.

5. Re: Accra Beach Hotel & Spa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2010, 06:17