We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Barbados

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Barbados

Cliff/Tides

Can you just go in for a cocktail & appetizer? & not do the whole pricey dinner?

Maybe just sit @ the bar & enjoy the atmosphere?

Or do you need a reservation for that also?

What is a ROTI?

What is an EX-PAT?

What is “VAT” ---mentioned on the Dine for $99 site. Some even say 15% “VAT”? Some say VAT included. I thought it was tipping, but some say a 10% tip is not included. ???

You can get 1/4 or 1/2 bottle of spirit with mixers and a bowl of ice. What does this mean & how do you ask for it? Where can you get this type of cocktail?

Banks beer does it taste like Henniken? Or Budweiser? Or neither?

What are Smart jeans?

What’s your favorite, least expensive restaurant in Holetown?

What’s your favorite, least expensive Bar in Holetown?

What’s your favorite, most expensive restaurant in Holetown?

What’s your favorite, most expensive Bar in Holetown?

What is the best fish to get @ Oistins? Or is there something better than the fish?

Do that provided tarter sauce? Or should I bring some?

Sorry so many (silly) questions. As being 1st timers to Barbados. Not leaving for another 2 months but like to be informed. Or at least think we know what we are talking about! lol!

KNK

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Barbados

hi knk...i will answer the questions i can give you an accurate answer on. i can't respond to some of the west coast questions as i am more familiar with the south coast.

roti - a soft dough flour shell which is round and stuffed with curried chicken, potatoes, chick peas, veggies, shrimp etc. (or a combo of) and then folded into a square and eaten like a burrito.

ex-pat - someone who is originally from another place other than barbados and now residing there i.e. england, u.s., canada...

vat - value added tax which is equivalent to 15%. it is added to certain items like food but on some menus it is in included...it has nothing to do with tipping.

spirits and mixers - in most "rum shops" (local roadside bars) you can order a mini or a flask...the mini being a tiny bottle and the flask being a pint?? not sure as we have different measures in canada. you simply say "can i please have a flask of..." whichever kind of drink you prefer...if it's rum you would order mount gay or extra old or cockspur...then order your chaser "and a bottle of coke". they will automatically give you the ice and ask you how many glasses you will need. it's very economical and nice to be able to mix your drinks to preference.

banks beer - does not taste like a heineken - more like a bud but has a unique taste of it's own.

smart jeans - dressier, dark jeans with no holes

holetown bar - my fav is surfside...great happy hour and on the beach

oistins fish - a personal choice; i prefer the marlin but dolphin, tuna, kingfish, snapper are all good. order 2 kinds if there are 2 of you and split them.

tartar sauce - yes they serve it with the fish!!!

enjoy and cheers, rootsie!

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Barbados

Not silly at all ...BUT..

Do try the search box ...for most questions you will find there are 100s of replies ...not sure about the Tartar Sauce though ??

Cliff / Tides

.....I doubt it - especially The Cliff but why not just Email them and ask

They both have relatively small bar areas and when I have been there fairly busy with restaurant customers

...it may be different after the main dining session is underway ... say 21.00 or 21.30

What’s your favorite, least expensive restaurant in Holetown?

...definitely Zaccios

What’s your favorite, least expensive Bar in Holetown?

...Surfside - it is on the beach

What’s your favorite, most expensive restaurant in Holetown?

Easy ..The Tides

What’s your favorite, most expensive Bar in Holetown?

...don't frequent such places ...even if they exist. If it your type of thing you can go to Sandy Lane (just south of Holetown) for a drink ...VERY expensive

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Barbados

Roti = Burrito with curry seasoning instead of salsa.

VAT = Government sales tax that does not include the tip.

ExPat = Abbreviation of ex-patriot. Definition is per Rootsie's post.

IMO, Banks doesn't taste like either Heineken or Bud. Fuller bodied than Bud without the astringent taste of Heineken.

Guildford
Level Contributor
436 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Barbados

Smart Jeans are the pair you haven't spilt your tarter sauce down!

Seriously though - like all dress codes, it rather depends who is wearing them. I wouldn't imagine Richard Branson would have any problem with his distressed denims..

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Barbados

Thank you all very much, it is good to be informed:-)

Roti-sounds like a Pasty...does it always have curry?

Banks---not a heni fan...soooo glad its not like that!

Spirit w/ mixers--mini-like you get on the airplane? Think we will go for the flask! lol! I've read the extra old is the "good one":^) (yes--to Rum fans!!)

Surfside is just a hop, skip & a jump from our resort! Def going for happy hour...best week-day to go?

The best map of Holetown I can find is one that looks like it was drawn in colored pencil....nice map for our needs, but can't seem to find Zaccios on it?

Oistins--Marlin, tuna & tarter sauce! Sounds good to me! Can you specify which way you would like it? Or is it always served a certain way? Baked, fried or grilled?

VAT-so its just a tax like anywhere else tax. When you buy something they tax you on it...its 7.4% here. Just happens to be 15% in Barbados.

Really thought smart jeans were kakis, they really are just a nice darker (newer no sauce-lol:)pair of jeans? DO people wear these smart jeans in that type of climate?

Since Tides is so close to us, I will see if we can just have a (expensive) cocktail & appetizer @ the bar. K-already said we can go to The Ciffs----I know people rave about it & we've seen it on TV----But dosen't Barbados have some really nice Jelwery shops????

(the ladies will know what I mean He-he-HE:)

The resort we are staying @ just returned my e-mail (very quickly I must add). K-gets to fly fish @ the resort & the chef will cook up whatever he catches for us & the staff as well!! If he so desires, how nice is that:^)

Thank you all again! Im sure I will have more questions soon.

LOVIN LIFE!

KNK

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
375 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Barbados

Here's some more information for you.

What’s your favorite, least expensive restaurant in Holetown? Just Grillin offers great food at reasonable prices. The food is just as good as Surfside and cheaper.

What’s your favorite, least expensive Bar in Holetown? Surfside as it's right on the beach and drinks are reasonably priced.

What is the best fish to get @ Oistins? Or is there something better than the fish? I always get the Dolphin(mahi mahi) when going to Barbados. It is always so good. Oistens has all kinds of dishes there, pulled pork, jerked chicken, grilled shrimp and even lobster. What ever you are in the mood for you can get it at Oistens.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Barbados

continuing...

roti is not necessarily a pastry...from wikipedia...It is made most often from wheat flour, cooked on a flat or slightly concave iron griddle called a tawa. It is similar to a flour tortilla in appearance.

a "mini" is bigger than the ones on the plane...from what i could find online it's 50ml

here's a good link with a pic of surfside diningwithus.com/restaurants/…index.htm try them on a friday after work time or on sundays i believe they have a steel band.

fish is cooked mainly on a grill but is available fried and backed...grilled is my fav all the way!

yes, VAT is just a tax like anywhere else tax.

great jewellery stores in bridgetown all along broad street. go to the back of the stores as they generally have a discount counter with very beautiful stuff.

enjoy!

rootsie!

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Barbados

Rootise,

I believe knk was referring to a pasty ("a" as in cat), not a pastry ("a" as in lake). In either case, rotis are quite different.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Barbados

gotcha...correct...not a pastry or a pasty LOL the old eyes :)

cheers, rootsie

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Barbados

I believe I know the map you are talking about ....probably on that as Cocomos ....just south of Surfside