We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which island to choose on a budget

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
which island to choose on a budget

I've spent hours on web trying to sort 2 week hol for me & hubbie for either late Sept/early Oct or anytime in November, and would really appreciate any advice please as we want to book now.

We are on budget about £1800 ish for 2 and thought All In best. Never been anywhere in Caribbean so need help choosing please, would also consider elsewhere.

We like a beautiful sunny beach, reasonable food (I'm veggie can usually find something to eat)clean hotel, and we like to be able to go off on our own and explore area, local town etc, poss hire car or use local buses, instead of just hotel trips.We also love nature/wildlife.

Some of these resorts seem to be beautiful but isolated, just sand everywhere. We realise it is Hurricane season, people seem to risk it. Don't want a very humid climate.

We do not really like having to tip all the time,and be pestered to buy, ok sometimes of course, and want to feel safe.

Are we asking the impossible or has anyone any ideas for us please, and who can we book through (going from London)

Looked at Varadero, Cuba but good review hotels were dearer and a lot had bad reviews.

Someone said Barbados would suit us best and it does apppeal, but cannot find holiday in our budget, does anyone have any web sites they can suggest with really good deals for Barbados?

Thanks very much

manchester england
Level Contributor
356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which island to choose on a budget

hi

have a look on the virgin website they usually have sales for this time of year.

or try to see if u can get a flight cheap and book accomadation seperately u may get deals at this time of year as it is a little quieter.

jac

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which island to choose on a budget

Have a look at

caribbeanwarehouse.co.uk/BarbadosOffers.php

Also allinc in not a necessity in Barbados - there are lots of restaurants/beach bars around the island from budget to high end.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which island to choose on a budget

Your comment " Don't want a very humid climate" might be the defining factor if that is a priority. Don't know what "very humid" is to you but anywhere in the Caribbean or within a 1000 miles north of the equator you will find it humid in November. As you mention it is the rainy season, at least the end of it so it will be quite humid but there's always a breeze, it's warm and sun does come out quite a bit.

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which island to choose on a budget

Also have a look at

tropicalsky.co.uk/Discovery_Bay_by_Rex_Resor…

they are quoting £899 each inc flights from Gatwick for 14 nights allinc up to 20 sept

approx £100 more for some dates in oct& nov

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which island to choose on a budget

Hi Anniesuffolk

That sounds like a very very good deal at Discovery Bay (UKtrip's post) if you want an all inc. hotel.

Flights, accomodation, food and all drinks for £899 each is a good deal for the West coast of Barbados.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which island to choose on a budget

I "shopped" this year's trip and researched plenty of other Caribbean destinations. Easily, Barbados is one of the most expensive islands in the Caribbean. Here are some alternative suggestions for you to consider:

Dominica

Dominican Republic

Puerto Rico

USVI

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which island to choose on a budget

thanks so much all of you for your helpful suggestions - I did contact Carribean Warehouse as suggested, and they were very helpful and for my budget I eventually chose Dominican Republic - Puerto Plata - I booked it before I read your suggestion trip7, sick that I missed that, but we've booked now.

Still have doubts about All In in DR, but it will be an experience, we will make the most of it, looking forward to some sun. We will have a go at getting local buses, as we like to go out and see local life, not just on the trips, but a lot of people seem to advice not hiring a car there.

Thanks again everyone.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which island to choose on a budget

Have a blast, and don't forget to tell us how it was, ok??

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
753 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which island to choose on a budget

Hi Annie

Dr is the best value in the Caribbean with lovely beaches and high quality hotels.

What hotel are you staying at?

Have a good trip.

N

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which island to choose on a budget

I do have to disagree with the statement that Barbados is one of the most expensive islands in the Caribbean. Having traveled fairly extensively throughout the Caribbean I would say Barbados ranks somewhere in the middle - definitely not the cheapest and there are many more expensive islands to visit:- Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, Turks & caicos, St. Martin, The Caymans I have found to be quite a bit more expensive than Barbados.

The Spanish speaking islands do tend to work out cheaper due to exchange rates but also tend to be mainly full of all inclusives which thankfully we don't have too many of here.

Sarah