We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with a baby turtle?

south east
Level Contributor
923 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with a baby turtle?

Hope I did the right thing! I found a tiny hatchling turtle (he was so cute!) laying in the sand close to the water. I didn't know what to do as I feared it was baking in the sun. I therefore carried it into the water. At first it seemed a little shell shocked, but after a while it started to use it's tiny flippers and I watched as it went off further into the ocean. Was this the right thing to do??

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

I hope so as I did something similar a year or so ago!

I asked around about what was the best thing to do and nobody really seemed too sure, but I did manage to find a number to call (24hr apparently) if you see any turtles laying eggs or lost or in distress etc.

The number is +246 230 0142 - depending on the situation they can either advise on what's best to do, or they'll come out.

Too late for this time I know, but it's worth having for future reference!

Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

Sounds good to me.... Also people can report any nesting or htchling activity to the sea turtle hotline See http://bit.ly/VIcCp

south east
Level Contributor
923 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

yes it's good to have the number - but I had to make a snap decision there and then! just thought it seemed the best thing to do rather than to leave him to die in the hot sun.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

Completely agree sunshinegirl, we found them in a drain grate up by the road and had to fish them out and take them back to the beach. We really didn't know if it was the right thing or not, but we were fairly sure that just leaving them would have led to a sad end...

I'm glad I have the number now so that I know if it happens again I can just make a quick call and get the right solution!

Hardseed - I think it's the same thing we're talking about, the number is the Turtle Hotline!

Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

Yup same thing. I think the right thing was done. They still like to know about any hatchlings though.

I remember when a momma came up on the beach to nest somone called. They came and took markings as to where the eggs were buried so they could check up on it periodically close to the time they figured the eggs would hatch.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

The point is you did the only thing you could possibly do, and through the kindness of your heart. I would have done the same but sometimes you need reassurance that you did the right thing. I am no expert but this little fella needs the ocean, so well done from me!

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

Sunshinegirl ..you definitely did the right thing

Turtles usually hatch at night ( it is safer and cooler) and have an in built navigation system that should take them straight to the water

If you found this one during daylight hours it is probable that it was from the night before and became disoriented ......possibly by some land based light source

....what time of day did you find it and where was it?? ....are there any lights behind the beach ...or a car park maybe

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

Good work Sunshinegirl you def done the right thing, good on you!! What beach did you spot the little guy on?

south east
Level Contributor
923 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

Well I'm so pleased you all think I did the right thing! It was around 10am in the morning, and would you believe, we found him on Sandy Lane beach - mind you not surprising I suppose, given that the turtles are only just around the corner at Paynes Bay. Thinking about it I have actually seen uncovered eggs before now around that headland, and once I saw people collecting them and re-burying them - I think they must have been from Turtle Watch.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do with a baby turtle?

Good Job..

There is the Turtle Hotline - I believe it's run by the Belairs Research Institute in Holetown (used to be the cell phone of a friend of mine who started it a few years ago) .. the number quoted above should be correct.

a year or so ago, my kids and I were swimming at a pool at an "across the street from the beach" hotel in Worthing.. the kids saw 3 little baby turtles in the pool and then found a few more wondering around. They had been misguided by the lights and headed across the road (thankfully they made it).

I called my friend who advised us to get some sand, put them in a bucket of sand and water and then take them down to the sea around 6pm to let them go (this all happened about 4:30pmish .) We did that and they swam out.. how many survived after that, we have no clue.. but at least we tried.