We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking

Hi All,

Having not been to Barbados for the past 2 years I was wondering if the proposed smoking ban has ever been implimented?

I have a feeling that the ban was due to come into place in the new year of 2009, but has this law actually now been passed?

If so, is smoking banned in restaurants, public places, beaches etc?

Thanks for any responses.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking

It hadn't been in the summer, and I haven't heard anything to say that it has. I really hope not - will find out when I get there tomorrow I guess!!

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking

you hope not? yes go kill others with your second hand smoke and go back to your country. The law has not been passed yet but in many restaurants there is usually a no smoking policy or divided sections.

england
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking

LMR, I hope not too. It is nice to be able to enjoy a cigarette without being made to feel like a leper. I am always considerate of others, and expect the same consideration in return.

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking

FranglishTay, I dislike smoking as much as anyone but the "go back to your country" remark was uncalled for.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking

Have to agree with bpfife, absolutely. No need for insults.

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking

Again, agreer with bpfif, no need to be rude and insulting!

Smithers, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking

I don't smoke but would sooner put up with a smoker than a loud mouth drunk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking

it is either that I wrote what I said wrong or some people just extract words and say I was insulting. Exposing others to your bad habits is just selfish and wrong. If I never smoked and I worked in the tourism industry and was exposed to years and years of second hand smoke why should I have to pay. It is refreshing to go somewhere and you are not plagued with smoke like in the the big cities. I cannot believe that some people can be so selfish . Kill urself with cancer not others around you what is so bad about stepping outside and smoking? I am not here to give a lecture. I usually just read comments and offer suggestions wherever possible but it floors me that tourist want to come to a country and do whatever they like just because there are on holiday. There is this mentality that some people have that hey it is an island anything goes but I support the government with these steps. Anything islands do where it be a new immigration step everyone is always getting upset. I can see this new law affecting the industry a bit due to people wanting to have that freedom associated with holidays but like in your own country it is something that you adjust to. I did not insult anyone and it is sad that the phrase extractors are in action this afternoon. Sorry to those I "insulted".

england
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking

As I said I am considerate of others and would not inflict my second hand smoke on non-smokers. I just welcome the fact that there are smoking areas in bars and restaurants. A sensible solution in my opinion.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
91 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking

I agree we all should be considerate to others in everything we do at home and when we go on holidays . The division in the bars for smoking and non smoking is good but my only worry is for the staff working there. I knew a few people who worked in the tourism industry later being diagnosed with lung cancer and they never smoked a cig in their life. It is just unfortunate imo. I guess this topic is closed. The law is not passed yet so SMOKE ON!!!