We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best local food in Holetown area

Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best local food in Holetown area

We're going to stay in Holetown area in December. Could you please, recommend some places to sample real Bajan food, like fish cakes, flying fish and cou cou, pudding and souse, and breadfruit. We'd prefer places where locals eat, not upscale restaurants.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best local food in Holetown area

Surfside has a cool outdoor beach vibe to it. We had happy hour there one night & got quite tipsey to say the least. We did not sample the food there but it looked good & had the local flavor you may be looking for. However I thought most prices were a bit...well pricey. Maybe $40 to $50 U.S. for lunch including drinks. Depending on what you order of course. But found this to be true of most lunch menus we checked out @ most proper restaurants.

KNK

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best local food in Holetown area

Best local food is relative to one's tastes. So yes Surfside but just go into places look around and if you feel comfortable go for it. Haven't really had any food I didn't like at any place. Be a "restaurant detective" and discover places.

Ontario
Level Contributor
719 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best local food in Holetown area

You can’t beat eating from the back of the food vans if you want local. We were in Holetown last week and our two favourites were Papa Earl’s at the north end of Holetown just past Discovery Bay by the cricket field. He only makes vegetarian food but his mac pie and ginger lemonade are worth seeking him out. He’s there over lunchtime Tuesday – Friday. He loaded us up with a bit of everything (fed me for two meals) for $10 Bajan per person.

Another good one to try is the van parked up the side road between the Texaco gas station and West Coast Mall. Again for $10 Bajan we had a choice of fish, chicken, or pork with all the sides (rice, mac pie, coleslaw, roast veggies) Highly recommend the pork. Get there early on Saturday because she is rumoured to have THE best pudding and souse.

My other half can’t pass a food van without having a nosey and a sample! We’ve eaten at most of them from Speightstown to Rockley. Great value for the money, an excellent way to sample local dishes and you meet the best people.

Enjoy Barbados! :-)

Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best local food in Holetown area

Thank you, Acton. That's exactly the food we're looking for, not a fancy version of Bajan food.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best local food in Holetown area

From another thread:

Connies Barbeque outside the Pentecostal Church, Paynes Bay does ( amonst other things) superb fresh Dolphin(when in season) because there is an awful lot of frozen fish on the island. I think tourists may be surprised at just how much. But Connies fish is always good, cooked in front of you and his garlic saute potatoes are delicious. He is only open Thu,Fri Sat nights, be prepared to queue!

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best local food in Holetown area

Another, reasonably priced bar and restaurant is Groots ...just north of Holetown

...it has a varied choice of English and Bajan

Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best local food in Holetown area

Fresh Dolphinfish sounds great!

I should have mentioned we'll stay in AI, therefore, we're not interested in fancy food (we'll have plenty of it in our resort and there are numerous upscale restaurants back home). But we'd love to try authentic Bajan dishes made in a traditional way, similar to home cooking, at least a couple of times.

So, keep suggestions coming, please; we appreciate them greatly.

8. Re: Best local food in Holetown area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2010, 05:19