We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liat/Insel Air-Reliable?

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Liat/Insel Air-Reliable?

Just wondering if things have improved with Liat and Insel. We have to fly both airlines to get from Barbados to Aruba and am a little worried. Am hoping my baggage (4 suit cases and 2 carry-ons-there are 2 of us) will be allowed and arrive at my destination. Any input, info or suggestions will be appreciated. Am leaving Sunday, as my other post indicates. Thanks!

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liat/Insel Air-Reliable?

I have heard good things about insel air but I do not like Liat so much. Have things improved with Liat no...actually I saw a looming strike in the news for the pilots coming up on Dec 1st . I hope they sort out their issues.I never lost baggage but there is always a delay with liat but if you are checking in again with liat if you are going through st maarten then the bags should not be a problem just make sure they put a yellow and black tag on your bag that says something about a continuing flight. Is it only you that is travelling as you are only allowed one bag on liat during peak periods. A better way to get from aruba to barbados is Caribbean airways but they only fly 3 days a week. I am hoping your baggage gets there as well but I have never lost luggage with them.

las vega, nv
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liat/Insel Air-Reliable?

By one bag, do you mean 1 bag total or 1 bag carry on? We will be checking 2 bags a piece (my husband and I are traveling together) plus ou one carry-on apiece. ?!?!?

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liat/Insel Air-Reliable?

I mean one checked bag per person I think it is about 50 lbs hang on let me give u the link www.liat.com/navSource.html…

The carry on is always a mess with them. The size I would usually use on a regular carrier like AA is too big for liat. What they do if this is the case they take it from you as you are about to board the flight and put it in the baggage hold. When the flight lands you wait for the door to open in the hold and the guy unpacking gives you the carry on piece before you get into the airport. I noticed this on several occasions. The carry on bag has to be small, check the site for dimension but,they still allow you one personal piece like a handbag along with your carry on piece.

The one piece you have each is fine be sure to weigh it before you leave. I have seen people dumping stuff at many airports across the Caribbean because their bag was overweight and they could not pay for the bag or was not allowed to pay for it. Have a good trip.

Not sure when you are travelling but check around in a week to follow the news on the looming strike...Not sure if they will go forward with it yet.

Edited: 24 November 2009, 23:44
las vegas
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Liat/Insel Air-Reliable?

Have you hard if Liat went on Strike? We will be flying Dec. 6th from Barbados to Curacao (en route to Aruba).

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liat/Insel Air-Reliable?

I will tell u by the 30th or the first of December as there were in meetings this week. I will let u know as soon as I hear anything. I do not think they would do something so drastic but you never know...

6. Re: Liat/Insel Air-Reliable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2010, 05:26