We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions Galore!

nyc
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Questions Galore!

We are leaving this Sunday for a week and I have a bunch of questions!

We are staying at the Hilton for the first half. How much is a taxi into Bridgetown or to nearby restaurants? Is it worth it to go to Bridgetown for a whole day to walk around? What other sites are nearby that are must dos?

We are going to the Silver point hotel for the second half. How much would a taxi be to there? Are there any restuarants/sites within walking distance from silverpoint? Is it ok to take the buses and where can those take us to places of interest?

Should we exchange money or can we use US dollars?

How do we get to the synagogue and do we need to make an appointment?

Thanks!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,053 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions Galore!

Well.......all your qustions have been answered many times and most quite recently so here's what I suggest you do.

First take a look at the FAQ's where there's a great deal of information.

Then take each one of your questions ex: taxi fares and put it in the search box where you'll find a number of comments and answers. Your exchange question is answered in the FAQ's.

Enjoy

nyc
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions Galore!

i couldnt find anything recent on silverpoint regarding sites and restaraunts

thanks

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions Galore!

Hi, here is a link discussing restaurants near Silver Point Hotel

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147266-i289-k30…

Here is an older link discussing restaurants/cab fares from hilton

tripadvisor.co.uk/…9678619

Personally I wouldn't spend a whole day in Bridgetown, ok for a bit of shopping and maybe lunch but there are far more interesting places to visit IMHO. I would encourage a trip to the East Coast, it is beautiful over there. Have lunch at Bathsheba, the Roundhouse is good. I always enjoy a trip on CoolRunnings catamaran, a fun day out with snorkelling and lunch included. St.Nicholas Abbey is a very interesting Jacobean house to visit, you can watch them crushing cane on certain days as they make rum.

I would take US dollars they are accepted everywhere, we always take them. No need to change to Bajan $. I have never visited the synagogue so can't advise on that I'm afraid. Have a great trip!

nyc
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions Galore!

Thanks so much for your help!

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions Galore!

Silver Point, while lovely, is very far away from everything. Taxi's will be expensive to get to decent restaurants in the Gap area or on the South Coast. You can eat there and might find something very casual nearby, but that's about it.

Not much in Bridgetown, except for shopping. You might consider hiring a taxi driver for a private tour and have him take you to the North and East Coasts for some spectacular scenery.

Check out my site at: www.barbadostips.com for ideas

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions Galore!

There are a few things you could see that are close to the Hilton. You could take a cab, but if you don't mind walking - out to the main road from the Hilton, turn right, very short walk to the corner where the Barbados Light & Power building is, left here up the hill. This is the Garrison area, and there you will find the recently renovated building where George Washington stayed. Also in the Garrison area is the Barbados Museum -

http://www.barbmuse.org.bb/index.php - http://www.barbados.org/george_washington.htm

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions Galore!

Regarding the Synagogue, you don't need an appointment. I believe it's open everyday from 9 - 4 pm. It's located near James Street & Bruce Alley. If you pick up a copy of Barbados in a Nutshell - there is a map of the island with an inset of downtown Bridgetown. The site of the Synagogue is indicated on this map.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions Galore!

I would just like to correct Lois - Silverpoint whist a little off of the beaten track is not "very very far away" and is just 10 mins drive to Oistins (if that) and 15 mins drive to the Gap. The hotel and setting are very nice and the beach is lovely. Surfers Bay is close by and has a great atmosphere and dinner nightly. There's also chicken Rita's - a rum shop that sells great chicken - not too far away and then of course there's Cafe Luna at Little Arches Hotel just a 5 mins drive from Silverpoint.

Sarah

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions Galore!

I thought it took us much more than 15 min. to get to the Gap where the bulk of the restaurants are. Maybe that was in traffic. I just wanted them to be aware it's not closeby.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions Galore!

i agree with scary.

lois, as a self-appointed expert, on several occasions you have given incorrect advise about the south coast. for all posters, please provide information on that which you have personal experience and for all readers, please keep an open mind and wait for responses from all so that you are not misguided.

sorry for the rant but it has been a long time coming!

cheers, rootsie!