We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

I have never been in the INBOUND duty free shop at Barbados Airport so could anyone tell me if things such as wine, champagne, spirits etc are cheaper than Gatwick London? Just thought it may save filling up the aircraft lockers.

Thank you

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

Yes, Cave Shepherd in the arrivals hall is much cheaper than World Duty Free at Gatwick. However, you can only purchase 1 bottle of alcohol on arrival.

A few price examples I know are as follows:

Smirnoff Red 1 Litre: $19.80BDS

Smirnoff Blue 1 Litre: $29.80BDS

Southern Comfort: $38BDS

Hennessy VSOP: $83.10BDS

Disaronno Amaretto: $40BDS

I bought a Southern Comfort at Gatwick in January and paid 15quid for it. So that's an example.

There is an impressive selection. You can call 001-246-420-2536 which is the number to the store to ask about other products.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

Hi there, does that mean cigarettes are cheaper to buy on arrival aswell? Thanks, Alison

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

I can't say for sure as I don't buy cigarettes. But I would bet my salary on it.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

Cigarettes are no longer duty free in Barbados and if you bring any in, except maybe a pack or 2, you will end up paying duty on them regardless of where you purchased them.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

So everyone getting off a flight from the UK with duty free fags is going to get charged duty?? I doubt it..................

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

the customs officers have the right to check all inbound passengers luggage (checked and hand luggage). If cigarettes are found they will charge the duty. if not... that's great... but that is how it works.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

Wonder if they tell you that when they bring the duty free trolley round on the plane???

Glasgow
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

I found this on the web earlier

"CUSTOMS REGULATIONS

General duty free allowances in Barbados.

Personal Effects: 1 litre of potable spirits or wine, 200 cigarettes (one carton) or 100 cigars or 50 cigars and cigarettes not exceeding 230 grammes in aggregate.

All articles in excess of this exemption are subject to the relevant duty and tax."

Alison

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

Nope, they don't tell you onboard. I usually fly BA, and have bought from the Highlife Shop numerous times, but I've cut back significantly for that reason.

cornwall
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Duty Free at Grantley Adams On Arrival

Hi -

Is champagne available to buy and if so does anyone know the cost? many thanks