We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sights and tours in Barbados

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
sights and tours in Barbados

I'll be doing a southern Caribbean cruise on Princess in late Jan which includes Barbados. I'm traveling with my family of 6 with ages from 5 to 65. What are some "don't miss" sights and experiences? Also, the shore excursions set up by the ship are a bit pricey, particularly when you multiply everything by 6. It seems like for that many people I should be able to get a better deal on a comprehensive tour by just privately hiring someone on the island if I can find someone I can trust. Any ideas?

Glory Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Emmanuel Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sights and tours in Barbados

At the cruise terminal there are usually numerous taxis that would be able to do that. Also you might want to read these 2 posts, might give you an idea.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k3276…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k2284…

Depends what your family's interests are. You could visit the East Coast with it's huge waves, Barbados Wildlife Reserve, Orchid World, St. Nicholas Abbey,

St. John's Church. Bottom Bay, and/or just plunck yourselves on a beach for a few hours.

On the left-hand side "Things to Do" might give you more ideas.

dorval
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sights and tours in Barbados

JohnWO48,

Lots to see and I suppose it'll end up your choice once you have a chat with the taxi driver. I'd suggest you check out things first and take notes as to what you'd be interested in. A plantation house, the museum, a rum tour,

and making sure you sample some of the fish that's available just about everywhere. From a submarine to a helicopter. From a local pottery to a rum shop. The choices are many and I will suggest a fellow I've dealt with and was very pleased with his service. He has a new van and it will seat everyone in total comfort. You could call ahead and arrange things before you get there. His name is Edward Larrier (aka Jack) and his cell is 246 248 5476 and home is 246 423 4935. I'm sure he'd appreciate your business. Have a great trip and enjoy the island.

Paragon 140

London, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sights and tours in Barbados

Just go on Teds tours for the day, you will love it! Enquire through your hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sights and tours in Barbados

I shared some information on a reputable licensed tour operator that will allow you to customize a private tour and recommend local attractions to your taste.

Please check your private message area.

Edited: 28 December 2009, 18:31
Norwich, CT, USA
Level Contributor
106 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sights and tours in Barbados

Our favorite beach was the Soup Bowl in Bathsheba. We saw several tour buses and taxis making stops there. If you stop and stay a bit. there are lovely tide pools to soak in filled with fish like a private aquarium. The surf is rough, but the rock formations are spectacular. There are a few vendors of souvenirs, and one bar.

Another good stop is Welchman HAll Gully in the interior. It is a paved trek through a tropical area with many trees, palms, and vines. There are monkeys they feed daily. The area is wonderfully relaxing and interesting. There is a restaurant across the street with a wonderful local lunch available, at a super price.

6. Re: sights and tours in Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2010, 05:16