We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket Prices

Monifieth,Scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket Prices

Hi,

We are a family of four going to Barbados for the first time in June and staying at the Coral Mist Apartments.I believe there is a supermarket nearby and just wondered what kind of prices goods are there.ie comparable with UK or generally more expensive or hopefully cheaper!

We will be eating out a lot but its more for the odds and ends needed for a fortnights holiday.

Thanks

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket Prices

http://www.supercentre.com/shop.html

Big B SuperCentre Supermarket is located just inland at the intersection at Rendezvous road and the south coast road. the above is their website with prices.. which are in Barbados Dollars.

Trimart supermarket is located on the main road at that same intersection. Prices maybe slightly lower, but selection will be less.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket Prices

I found the selection and quality of food, especially meat and chicken, very poor at the Holetown supercenter and grocery store in Speighston. Liked the outdoor fruit and veg stalls though.

Any recommendation where I can purchase or pre order premium steaks and chicken?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket Prices

Go to this website for steaks and chicken in Barbados http://www.hjasonjones.com/main/index.html

Don't know about pre-ordering but you can certainly order once there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket Prices

Thanks Canby for this link. There meat and chicken products look great. Have you ever used them? Or anyone else have used their products? They say they provide food for villas, resorts etc.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket Prices

Yes, plus a number of my local friends use them, plus fellow Canadians. Never had a problem.

Enjoy

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket Prices

There's also a PriceMart, like a Costco up in Warrens just below the ABC. You have to get a membership, it's not expensive at all and good for a year, renewable of course.

The only thing depending on the amount you want you might want to share with someone.

If I knew where you were staying I'd give you better instructions on how to get there.

Monifieth,Scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket Prices

Thanks for the replies.Looks like the Big B is nice and close according to Google Earth!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket Prices

We are here now and drove to Big B recently. Found the selection very good. Normally shop at Oistins Supercenter but will most likely stick to BB now for the added variety. We are here 3 months and self cater. We find groceries to be priced not far off from home with some items being priced ridiculously. Items like pasta are at par, lamb is cheap, chicken is cheap, brie cheese is cheap (and delicious on the artisanal garlic loaf from the Westcoast Mall Supercentre :)) One does not have to spend a bundle on self catered dinners. Wine on the other hand is crazy!!! Tonight we are broiling flying fish with salad......yummie and can't wait!!!! We eat very well I have to admit and cannot complain. Shop smart and you should be fine.

Bubby

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket Prices

Ginger.. according to one of the big ups (also a friend of mine) with the Super Centre Chain.. all of the stores should have the same cost price and quality of food. however.. I've always found that each store in their chain offers different variety of items.. some stores having one thing while others never carry that same thing.

The beef and chicken (especially chicken - which I believe, cannot be imported)) is mostly local.. that includes Pricesmart.. not sure about H.Jason Jones and what they carry, although I have used some of their items before. Beef can be imported as long as it's off the bone (so if you see any bone in beef it's local).

The only issue I've ever had with any of the super centre stores is items in stock, but that as a general rule is something we deal with on the island. I tend to these days prefer to pay more initially at Pricesmart for my meats and repackage and freeze them once home.. Short term visitors don't really have that option, but I still find the meats and chicken pickings better their than anywhere.

I'm not familiar with the supermarket in Seightstown, but I don't think it's a supercentre chain. Some of the other chains (Carlton, Emerald City, Jordans) while good are going to likely not carry as wide a variety of items.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket Prices

It was Jordan's in Speighstown and Holetown supercenter where I couldn't find any quality meat. Thinking back about the selection of freezer burn steaks at supercenter and not much else. Sounds like the link Canby posted is worth trying and purchasing.