We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

london
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

is it still possible to buy the duty free cigarettes upon the arrival to bgi airport?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

yes it is

london
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

thanks for your info, wasn't sure about the cigarettes. last year june, they were not aviable.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

cigarettes are no longer duty free in Barbados.. You can purchase at the airport but not duty free. any cigerarettes you bring in will be charged duty (if they know about them or find them in your luggage).. and I've been told they have restricted the liqueur to 1 litre per person..

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,394 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

Sunnie the amount of alcohol allowed to be brought in has recently gone UP to 1 litre !!!! Amazingly the allowance in Barbados was only one 75cl bottle per person before.!!!

I found that out several years ago when stopped for carrying 3 bottles of champagne in full view .. I subsequently checked the D F allowance and found it to be true. I now hide all but one bottle but I have been searched since and the hidden bottles were ignored. I think it depends what mood they're in lol

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

I agree with Sunnie, unless things have changed since November, there is no duty free allowance on entry into Barbados with regard to cigarettes, if they find you with them, you will be charged import duty. When I flew out in November, there were signs at check in (in the UK) informing passengers of this and the amounts of duty that would be imposed and the airline were warning passengers if they bought cigarettes and were caught they would be charged.

Due to this restriction, there is obviously no way they can sell cigarettes at the airport.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

I always thought it strange that the duty free allowance into BGI was 75cl spirits and yet the duty free shop at arrivals sold 1 litre bottles!!! We always bought 1L each and were never stopped. Sounds like they are tightening things up now.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

I was told recently, like in the last week, that yes it's 1L bottle, but they no longer are turning a blind eye to more.. You know bajans.. they would be ok for you to bring 2 (3 maybe to much) but now.. I've been told..1 or none.. I'm guessing you have to pay for the 2nd or subsequent bottle, so even hidden, if found will be charged..

just so you all are aware, my source works in operations for Duty Free Caribbean and travels quite a bit in the region for them.. sooo.. I'm saying my source if very reputable. He is also my 2nd child's godfather, so I don't think he is going to tell me anything that isn't true..

Edited: 15 January 2010, 10:47
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

How about cigars I am planning to bring about 30 cigars from the US.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,394 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

EEK that's a blow Sunnie !! I usually carry one bottle very openly for all to see and hide at least 3 in my hand luggage. I may have to have a re think !!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: duty free upon the arrival, cigarettes?

I just checked the Barbados Government Portal and it says that cigarettes (1 carton) and 1 liter of alcohol is allowed duty-free. If this has changed, wouldn't theat be reflected on the site?