We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

My husband and I are in our mid 30's and cannot choose between the following hotels for the first week of May. Any thoughts?

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

Have you looked at the reviews of these hotels ...panel top left

There are 361 reviews of these 3 hotels ...some of which are VERY comprehensive ...from people who have actually stayed there

Sandpiper is rated 6/109 and the Coral Reef 9/109 ...so not much between these two

I have only visited the Coral Reef Club ...all looked VERY nice but I do believe it is seen by some as bit 'old fashioned' ...gets a lot of repeat customers

Edited: 20 January 2010, 10:24
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

Please be aware that the Rating order of hotels on here really does not mean a lot They just mean that more people who stayed in the highly rated hotels wrote reviews.

For instance Sandy Lane , while not being to everyone's taste, is actually one of the only REAL 5 Star Hotels along with Coral Reef and possibly Sandpiper although I seem to think that may only be an official 4 star Hotel as it has to share some of Coral Reef's facilities.

Coral Reef is very "Old English", and is an impeccably run Hotel, owned and run by an English family . very much in the old English tradition. It's sister hotel the much smaller Sandpiper is run by the same family but with more of a relaxed feel, but still run in a most impeccable way with great attention to detail. The staff "make" the hotel ,having the ability to make new and repeat guests ( of which there are many ) feel as though "they" are the only ones who matter.

Both these Hotels have their own, top class Restaurants, whereas the "House" has to use Daphne's Restaurant next door ( A large minus in my view ) Both Coral Reef and Sandpiper are within walking distance of Holetown ( Sandpiper being the closer ) and it's wide variety of restaurants and shops, whereas the House does not have that advantage.

I hope this helps a little !

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

"Please be aware that the Rating order of hotels on here really does not mean a lot They just mean that more people who stayed in the highly rated hotels wrote reviews"

Sadowner ...not really sure what you mean by that

From what I see the 'ratings' are based on the scores that each reviewer gives under the Excellent > Terrible section for the 5 areas under consideration

TA then convert this into a % overall rating

I don't think it matters ( given a meaningful minimum) how many people have stayed or written reviews

Presently the Beach House is rated No1 with 97% from 46 reviews

and Little Arches is rated No2 with 94% from 253 reviews

Sandy Lane ...yes a genuine 5* for most is rated 23 with 73% from 122 reviews ...I suspect this 'low' rating is as much to do with perceived vale for money and service as the 5* category

The overall rating is of course ONLY a guide ... I find the written reviews FAR more informative ...you can usually appraise the hotel according to your OWN priorities

For example ...if you want to eat out a lot and sample the very varied cuisine

available in Barbados ...not having an in house restaurant COULD be seen advantage

Edited: 20 January 2010, 13:31
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

Have stayed at Coral Reef club and did not find it stuffy. It's a lovely hotel. Sandpiper is their sister hotel and should also be wonderful. The House on the other hand is more of a motel than hotel and does not compare in any possible way to the above hotels. The House has such a fab website that when I was staying at the Coral Reef took a taxi to tour the hotel. Small, run down, small pool, depressing rooms. Absolutely no comparison. I have no idea how they get so many positive reviews, but they also get many poor reviews which do reflect what I saw when I toured the hotel. Pick either Coral reef or Sandiper, which ever you seem to like better, you will not be disappointed.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

I very much agree with gingerCanada's comments.

Both The Sandpiper and Coral Reef Club are wonderful hotels. We've stayed at each several times and the staff at both are warm and welcoming. The Sandpiper is a smaller resort if you like a more intimate feel. Grounds are lovely at both.

The rooms at both are excellent -- depends upon which type of accommodation you select. It's only a 5 min. walk from the Sandpiper into Holetown for restaurants. It's probably 10 from Coral Reef Club.

Another nice hotel to consider is Treasure Beach Hotel - it's right next door to The House and is luxury in comparison to the other. Also a small property. You'd need a taxi to get to Holetown from this location.

And another great possibility is Cobblers Cove Hotel - they really pamper you here.

Lois

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

Fairmont Royal Pavilion is also a good choice, love the beach and pool there. Toured Cobblers Cove and it does look lovely with a boutique feel and secluded. See if you can get a rate discount, free night, breakfast or something, May is a slow month.

Edited: 20 January 2010, 15:54
Nottingham, UK
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

Stay away from the house! It really is only a converted block of flats. The web-site is much better than the Hotel!

If you prefer a smaller more laid back hotel go for the Sandpiper, the Coral Reef Club is beautiful but much larger. I'm off to the Sandpiper in two weeks, I prefer it as it's closer to Holetown, you can walk in of an evening.

As others have said, Coral Reef and Sandpiper are run by the same family. Both hotels have a loyal client list and equally loyal staff. Must mean something.

Have a great time where ever you choose.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

Stayed at the House 2 years ago and loved it. I accept that it wont please everyone but we found the staff excellent and whilst not a restaurant on site you start with an excellent breakfast with champangne and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. I agree that whilst you should not completely dismiss the scores they are only a guide.Some people mark 1 or 2 on a whim but at the same time others mark 5 even when there have been problems. You will find out more by reading the reports and soon weed out the professional moaners.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

This is SOO helpful! Thank you all for your thoughts. My first post on a forum & helpful. All the reviews were confusing me but it's now between Coral Reef & the Sandpiper...veering towards the Sandpiper. Thanks again,

One last question if I may & I may need to put this in a seperate forum topic so please let me know if Im breaking forum etiquette! Is it possible to take wine from Duty Free with me to the hotel ? I understand its really expensive in Barbados.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Sandpiper, The Coral Reef Club or The House?

If you stay at Sandpiper or Coral Reef you will have a fridge to put your own wine etc in . However you are only OFFICIALLY alowed One bottle Duty Free !! I suggest you look at the thread about Duty Free Cigarettes which is running at the moment . This also gives tips on taking Alcohol into Barbados .