We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

Madrid
Level Contributor
188 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

Hi everyone,

Wifey and I are planning a late July-early August caribbean vacation. We have considered Barbados as one of the stronger choices (beautiful beaches, out of the hurricane belt, and so on, so on, so on...). We are a kid-free couple, so we're looking for a quiet, peaceful, no-kids vacation.

Obviously, the only thing for us to possibly discard Barbados is the lack of adult-only/couple-only hotels/resorts. Anyway, I think there are a few which, although not adult only, seem to cater to an adult crowd and don't seem very kid/family-oriented (correct me if I'm wrong, of course), so, although we possibly find some kids there, they would probably be just a few. Those places I'm talking about would be The Sandpiper, The Crane and... any other/s that come to your minds?

Thanks & kindest regards!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

Also worth considering is Coral Reef Club, sister hotel of Sandpiper, Cobblers Cove and Fairmont Royal Pavilion. I've stayed at Coral Reef and Royal Pavilion. My favourite being Royal Pavilion as it's basically for adults as rooms only accommodate two people other than their one villa that can accommodate families. It also has the nicest beach, long, wide and calm. Lovely pool area, good restaurants and nice gardens.

Crane is lovely but quite large and water can be quite rough, I'd think you'd get more families there.

Madrid
Level Contributor
188 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

Thank you so much for your help! I'm gonna check the Fairmont.

Also, as I continued doing "my summer vacation homework", I discovered that I'm wrong about Barbados lacking adult-only hotels/resorts, as there seem to be a couple or three, like Mango Bay or Almond. What about the Almond?

Thanks again & regards!

New York
Level Contributor
579 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

While The Crane does get some kids, other than the pools there isn't much for them to do there. The only times we have (in our four, soon to be five stays there) seen a number of kids is during school breaks. It's not a place where you see kids running around the pools.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

Given you already have a short list ...I would suggest you take a look at the reviews of each hotel ...see panel to left ..by the people who have actually recently stayed there . You can then assess in line with your own priorities

The Almond BC is ,IMO ...fine as a good value adult only hotel ( and you can share the facilities of the other Almond resorts) ...but the beach is very slim ...it is however only 100 yds from the very large Sandy Lane Beach

The Crane is a large facility and is possibly a little isolated for some

Edited: 25 January 2010, 17:59
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

My wife is a teacher and trust me the last thing she wants on holiday is kids. You do get kids at The Crane but there is so much room and so many pools they are not a problem. It is mainly and adult/couples resort. If they were a problem we would not have bought a unit there. It is isolated but I get the feeling that may be what you are looking for. In any event I think the Isolated card is a bit overplayed. The island is not large. Yes it is not withing walking distance of bars & nightclubs but there are 2 restaurants on site and another should be finished soon. We always go mid to late July and love it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

I'd stick with the former hotels you were looking at or the couple I recommended as they are more luxurious than the last two you suggested. I think you would be quite disappointed with Almond Village if you thought it was in the same category as Sandpiper/Pavilion/Cobblers Cove etc.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

Mango Bay certainly DO allow children -------------- I live next door so I can vouch for that ! ------- especially in August. !!!! Sandpiper is only child free at certain times during High Season and is usually closed most of August and September but check their website As for the others I think you need to check each hotel website individually.

None of the Almond chain are remotely in the same league as Coral Reef, Sandpiper, Smugglers Cove Royal Pavilion or Treasure Beach, Not even the adult only Almond Beach Club and Spa !

London
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

I would definately recommend Fairmont Royal Pavillion. We stayed there in 2009 and it was amazing. In there rates they include water sports and they have manager cocktails on one of the nights with lovely bites to eat.

There evening entertainment is lovely and romantic with the lit up palm trees and as far as I am aware is is an adult only hotel. Well I didn't see any kids there anyway.

If you are going to get an ocean front room, then get it on the 2nd floor upwards as I know some people might not feel totally safe on the ground floor at night.

If you want to go down to the south of the Island, either get a taxi or there is a bus stop just outside the hotel which takes you down there. The ragga buses are quite cool too!

9. Re: Sandpiper, The Crane or...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2010, 05:16