We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

London, Ontario...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

This may sound like a random question, but we are visiting my in-laws in a few weeks in Barbados, and I would like to bring them a gift. They are an older couple, don't drink or go out much socially . Is there something I can bring from Canada (where they lived for many years) that they can't get in Barbados?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
9,053 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

I don't think it so much a matter of getting something not available but rather something they would like. Yes, it might be Canadian such as Maple Syrup but it really depends on what they like. What do you think they'd like?

barbados
Level Contributor
334 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

Hmmmm - Canadian bacon (probably not practical - think you need a licence), real maple syrup - would have suggested Crown Royal but they don't drink...... Tim Hortons ground coffee - most Canadians I know seem to love this place!

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

Hi there, the gifts I usually take to Barbados that are always received well are......"Pier One"....room diffusers....the best scents are Island Orchid or Oceans. These last 6-months. "Bath and Body" foaming hand soap and hand gel. (although this is American firm just come to Canada) their hand soap is excellent. Good Jam,.......here in Niagara we have many stores that sell real jam and marmalade......ie.. Greaves. ....Yes Maple Syrup is a good idea, but only if they like it.........Also these are the kind of gifts I like to get.....being older. Good Luck anyway I am sure they will like anything you take and will just be pleased to see you. Regards Shelley

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
599 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

We are travelling to Barbados on Saturday to visit friends.

They have requested 2 big tins of Tim Horton's coffee.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

Real Maple Syrup, coffee, smoke meat, things you think they might like that you can't get here, which isn't much, but might be a heck of a lot more expensive here. Why not ask them for a list of things they might light. but whatever you do.. don't wrap it.. just stuff it in your case wrapped in your clothes and come along.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

i always bring smoked salmon and ice wine too (although i realize they don't drink, others can add to their list)

cheers, rootsie!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

A box of Maple syrup candy would also be a nice treat.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

We were in Barbados 3 weeks ago and the housekeeper where we stayed asked that if we ever come back, she would be grateful if we brought her some Nescafe Rich coffee. She explained that it's not that they can't get it, it's just that it is very expensive.

9. Re: ExPatriates Question? -Gift from Canada for local in-laws

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 05:18