We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Fares

UK
Level Contributor
503 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Fares

Can't believe I have missed out already - looked at flights to Barbados for November over the week-end and they were £534 today they are £594 - some increase !!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Fares

Tell me about it, we saw a holiday for september really good price looked at it the day after it had shot up sods law !!!!

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Fares

There was a sale on until midnight on Tuesday, hence the increase. Hold fire a while and see if another one comes along. The prices seem to change on a daily basis so it is a good idea to check them frequently. The decision on when to book is a gamble, it depends on how tied you are to specific dates. When a fare comes up you are happy with just book it and forget about it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
739 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Fares

Kitchenlady,

Try a company called newmont. I find that they always have Virgin flights cheaper than going to Virgin directly. Their number is 0208 9201122

UK
Level Contributor
503 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Fares

Thank you for your suggestions which I am going to try. It just grates on me that I missed out and the fares are x 3. Still, lets see what comes up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
739 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Fares

I know the feeling. Let me know how you get on.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Fares

So would you say its best to book early and not hope to pick up a late bargain? I'm thinking ahead to next summer 2011 and wondering how soon i can start looking for deals on packages

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Fares

I have noticed that the closer you leave it to your date of travel the dearer the flights are, i have never seen any late bargains maybe it is better to book early.

N Wales
Level Contributor
226 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Fares

The secret to getting the cheapest fare is really difficult to determine.

With Airlines constantly chopping and changing the fare structures .

We really should try and look at it as the airlines do ...but we don't .

They want as many Bums on seats as possible...when sales on a particular route /flight are slow , they will have a seat sale/holiday sale .When seats are selling ok they will revert to charging top dollar (whilst always watching the oppositions pricing ).Then nearer the departure date.....still with me ! ...if there are still seats empty, they will drop prices again.

So you COULD get a cheaper seat nearer the departure date IF seat sales are slow...on the other hand ...if business is brisk ....its top dollar time again......confusing is it not ! .

So just keep an eye on the prices....it's a bit of a lottery really .Last year we waited and waited, then as the price dropped considerably we pounced....what a result (I thought) then ....two days later they dropped like a stone .......so like I say ...you pays yer money and takes yer chance !

Happy Holidays folks

London, United...
Level Contributor
739 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Fares

I guess it really depends on how fixed you are for certain dates and the time of year you want to go. There was a time when I used to spend every Christmas in B'dos. I used to book the flights in Feb and they never went down in price, only up. Summer is another time when prices tend to only go up.

In Oct 09 I booked some flights for March 2010 on Virgin. The price has remained the same until now. BA has dropped by about £2.

If you're not fixed to certain dates then by all means wait around for the deals.

Leave your email address with Newmont and they will email you to let you know what flight offers are available

Edited: 13 February 2010, 16:04
Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Fares

We fly with Virgin to Barbados every November and never book until approximately 6 - 8 weeks before, to date we have always managed to get a really low price on our fares, usually around the £450 - £495, although we are flexible on our days.