We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oistins Fish Fry

chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Oistins Fish Fry

We are planning to attend the fish fry-since we have heard rave reviews. Can anyone elaborate on what goes on there and the price per person? Thanks

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

Think a Taste of Chicago, but a DJ instead of live music, and going on every night - I didn't pay, so I can't vouch for the prices, but definitely some of the best fish and plaintains I had!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

Friday night is the biggest crowd all week, and it is a big street party. No fee, food vendors with great inexpensive fresh fish platters, jewelry and several vendors. The DJ on one side plays oldies, and on the other side is the younger hip hop reggae music. Great mix of locals and visitors, enjoy !!

England
Level Contributor
522 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

go to the ladies frying near front of road more authentic.

chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

Thank you all for the great information- can't wait to go!

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

We went a couple of Fridays ago, it is an excellent night. Fish is about 20 to 25 BDS, but you get loads of excellent tasty fish. Banks beer is 3BDS a bottle, and rum is equally inexpensive. Seeing all the local guys dancing is an experience, especially before the hardcore music kicks in later on.

Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

Don't forget - tasty men!

7. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2006, 22:55
Boston
Level Contributor
13 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

I have an all-too-brief layover in Barbados on a Friday afternoon.

If I went to Oistins, I would have to leave at 7:00PM at the very latest to get back to the airport. Would I see any of the fish fry or does it not really get going until later in the evening?

canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

At the very least you could enjoy a great meal!

Barbados
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oistins Fish Fry

Oistins is one of those places that the tourism authority cannot figure out. It developed all on its own with no real help from them. As a result it is completely authentic and not 'toursity' at all. I go there whenever I feel for some fresh grilled fish.

Friday night is the big night though, DJ music including calypso, dancehall and hip hop on one side, ballroom dancing on the other and just plain 'liming'- the local word for hanging out, all over.

If you are at all health conscious avoid the ladies at the front near the road and go to George's Fish Net Grill. He grills wheras they deep fry. He is also a fisherman himself so his fish is always of the highest quality and very fresh.

Be prepared to stand in line for a while but it is completely worth it. George charges anywhere from $15 to $25 Barbados dollars depending on the type of fish. (divide by 2 to convert to $US)